Where can I get Fostex FE206ES-R from?

Hello

I was looking for a driver for my next project and Fostex FE206ES-R got my attention.

For a few days ive been looking in to this, and I found the recomended BLH plans and all the data on it, but the driver itself seems to be a bit dificult to find. Madisound dont seen to have it, Spectrumaudio didnt reply to my e-mail...

So, does anyone know where I could get me a pair of these beauties?
 
Depends on what you want to do really. As you imply you've a decent sized room, you should be able to fit nice, big cabinet in.

If you want a long-path horn, the regular FE206E would be the automatic option, or the FE208ESigma wide-band unit with whatever supertweeter (suggest FT17 if budget is tight, T90a or better if it's not an issue) you fancy if you're feeling rich. Alternatively, if you wanted something simpler like a BVR, the FE207E would be the canny choice.
 
Don't be surprised if there are a few pairs available second-hand - either from folks who jumped on the initial offering and just never got around to using them (i.e. drivers will be NIB), or builders who've been forced to down-size their systems. These drivers will likely be well broken in, which is a factor not to be underestimated with most of the larger more sensitivity Fostex drivers.

A buddy of mine fits in the latter category - I've heard the speakers, along with one of the bullet tweeters, in the recommended BLH cabinets. These cabinets are the size of a small fridge and certainly no lighter, and in the right room (i.e. appropriate listening position for the system to fully integrate) they do sound fabulous.
 
chrisb said:
Don't be surprised if there are a few pairs available second-hand - either from folks who jumped on the initial offering and just never got around to using them (i.e. drivers will be NIB), or builders who've been forced to down-size their systems. These drivers will likely be well broken in, which is a factor not to be underestimated with most of the larger more sensitivity Fostex drivers.

A buddy of mine fits in the latter category - I've heard the speakers, along with one of the bullet tweeters, in the recommended BLH cabinets. These cabinets are the size of a small fridge and certainly no lighter, and in the right room (i.e. appropriate listening position for the system to fully integrate) they do sound fabulous.

Id be more than happy to buy a used pair!!!
 
spedmetal said:
Im thinking on building a BLH. Id rather go without the tweeter. Not a huge fan of Xo`s. Ill probaply go for the regular 206.

Has anyone tryed the regular 206 in the ES-R BLH? What about these double horns? Better?


If by "these double horns", you mean the SPAWN series of Nagaoka style or mBVR enclosures (is that like mmmm..Donuts? :cannotbe: ) Scott quite likely has some listening experience to at least some version with a 206.
 
chrisb said:



If by "these double horns", you mean the SPAWN series of Nagaoka style or mBVR enclosures (is that like mmmm..Donuts? :cannotbe: ) Scott quite likely has some listening experience to at least some version with a 206.


Sorry, Im a dumass! Yes I ment the BVR. The Nagaoka seems a little too big for me. So what`s the difference to the recomended Fostex BLH?
 
>what's the difference to the recommended Fostex BLH?

In technical terms, a lot, though they share some sonic attributes.

If you want double-vent (which has some real benefits), and something like Sachiko is too big, you might want to look at the Chang box. The 207 would be a better bet than the 206, though with a high output impedance amp & some tweaking the 206 should do OK.

People get worried about XOs -don't. The real trick is to push them out of the critical telephone band from 200Hz - 4KHz & preferably an octave above that where our hearing is lousy at best. A simple cap to protect the tweeter & dial in its levels with an Lpad or a handful of resistors & you're in business.
 
spedmetal said:



Sorry, Im a dumass! Yes I ment the BVR. The Nagaoka seems a little too big for me. So what`s the difference to the recomended Fostex BLH?

Having only heard one, I can't comment on the sonic differences, but the BVR is much less wood and a far easier build.

As much as a well executed computer model may predict what to expect, and as I've said elsewhere, I'm the very happy owner of 2 of Scott's designs (which happen to not be from this family) , it would be interesting to see if any live measures exist for either of these enclosures.
 
Scottmoose said:
>what's the difference to the recommended Fostex BLH?

In technical terms, a lot, though they share some sonic attributes.

If you want double-vent (which has some real benefits), and something like Sachiko is too big, you might want to look at the Chang box. The 207 would be a better bet than the 206, though with a high output impedance amp & some tweaking the 206 should do OK.

People get worried about XOs -don't. The real trick is to push them out of the critical telephone band from 200Hz - 4KHz & preferably an octave above that where our hearing is lousy at best. A simple cap to protect the tweeter & dial in its levels with an Lpad or a handful of resistors & you're in business.

Re "crossover", and argument could be made that it's not really a full blown XO "network". That's exactly what Frank did with his system - ran the 206ESR unfiltered, and a hi-pass cap on the tweeter. If the sensitivity is close enough, and you cross the tweeter high enough, it's natural roll-of may eliminate the need for any further attenuation
 
Agreed about the measurements. Although from my POV, I wouldn't take them as being any more than interesting -it'd depend on how they were taken, what the room was like & the amp. Not that I need to tell you any of that Chris (kind of like preaching to a prophet here -sorry mate, I'm really just musing out loud ;) ).

These double boxes would be a pain in the proverbial to measure; the usual 1m distance isn't of much use: radiation area's too great; they'd have to be taken at least 8ft back. That'd be useful, especially if there were some others taken at the listening position, with notes on the room & amp to compliement it.
 
A couple of questions on the recommended ES-R BLH:

The mouth of the horn is made by piling sheets of veneer. Is there a reason for that, diffusion, weight, rigidness or what? Would a bended sheet do the work(if anyone can understand what I mean)? I just think it would look nicer.

And the second question is about the tweeter. People seem to be using tweeters with the driver. Is that really a must?
 
spedmetal said:
A couple of questions on the recommended ES-R BLH:

The mouth of the horn is made by piling sheets of veneer. Is there a reason for that, diffusion, weight, rigidness or what? Would a bended sheet do the work(if anyone can understand what I mean)? I just think it would look nicer.


Well the enclosure certainly has plenty of mass and rigidity (Frank - did you ever get them on a scale?), so it's not so much for that - a simple reinforced slanted or curved final deflector panel would probably suffice for the cosmetics.

However, I think you'll find the concept of stepped chambers, with no smoothed corners or is prevalent throughout the Tetsuo Nagaoka's design library, upon which most of the Fostex BLH enclosures. It certainly does add to the assembly time, but only minimally compared to the internal pathway structure




And the second question is about the tweeter. People seem to be using tweeters with the driver. Is that really a must?

This is probably much more system /listener dependent, and it would be foolish to say categorically one way or the other.

Be advised that the Fostex bullet tweeters can easily cost more than the main drivers themselves, for that last octave or less of high-end "shimmer". Furthermore, the higher end models are at least 5dB more sensitive than the 206ES-R and therefore you'll need at least a decent L-Pad or Transformer level control, or else you cross the tweeter over very high and let it's natural roll-off provide the attenuation - in which case it might be effectively contributing 1/2 and octave or less.
 
Juhani Laiho said:



PM me if you want a pair.

regs,

-juuso-

Yes I want em!

Couldnt send you PM. There is some kind of restriction:
"Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help."

If you can contact me, id be more than happy to do bussines with you.