What was the real inspiration behind the Karlson Coupler?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It hit me like a ton of bricks! It appeared that off axis higher frequencies suffered from, lack of a better term, a doppler effect. It explained why the singer told me the bass sounded out of tune, then in tune. The singer noticed this because he was moving about the stage.

Doppler effect occurs when source or receiver moves causing apparent frequency to appear higher (moving towards) or lower (moving away). So it is not Doppler.

A speaker can have distortion which shows up as harmonic frequencies that were not originally there. These are at 1f, 2f, 3f, 4f, etc... I have never heard of a speaker actually shifting the frequency - as you say, causing the singer to sound sharp or flat (frequency shifts within less than a major diatone). That would require either some sort of DSP processing, or a very strange non-linear effect in the driver/enclosure.

I don't think it is possible for speaker to generate a tone that is "out of tune" -that is, sharp or flat compared to the input frequency.

with a 1:1 mix of 32 and 160Hz, the original Karlson K15 exhibits a lot less sideband activity than a reflex the size of K15's rear chamber and with similar tuning defined by Zmin between the two major Z peaks. Its possible with weak highs to primarily focus on an off axis null which might throw someone's sense of pitch.

The slit vent K12 and reflex with small wheeze vents will create lots of harmonic distortion if driven by pure sine wave at and near fb , but I don't think that's sensed all that much if playing or producing music. K15 has a vent which is efficient imo. I've compared it to a reflex with two 4" ID ducts at 20vrms/36Hz sine and the reflex had much more cone movement and higher vent velocities. Both speakers had about the same amount of fundamental. Both speakers had fb just below 50. Both cabinets in that comparison were loaded with fresh JBL M151 15".

is a good deal of the additional cone movement in the reflex due to sideband "beats"?
why does K15 show a ~36Hz near-cone null when its system resonance appears near 48?
- a reflex cone null would occur at ~fb

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Didn't see this first time around.......it's a 1/2 size ~55 Hz [~110 Hz] expo horn. The much larger 'A' series is a 1/2 size ~35 Hz [~70 Hz] expo horn.

GM

Thanks for the clarification! I hardly consult audio forums anymore and just dropped by, good to "see" you!

Thanks.
That would be bad news. I intend it for a tweeter. In an open baffle with Wharfedale woofers in an open baffle.
Hopeless?

Large tubes have not been known to "work" for many. The classic 5.7" long 1" ID tube is pretty good though IMO. I took the time to draw a half-ellipse pattern for a 1" ID pipe with 0.125" walls if you want to print and cut your own tubes, attached in PDF (I was going to add 'format' before realizing the redundancy). A competent 1" compression driver should work well from 1500Hz and up with a 2nd or preferably 3rd order crossover.

Attachments

• k_tube.pdf
    194.7 KB · Views: 75
if the OP is working with a 3" cone tweeter then something like below could be concocted from cardboard for testing - I had this taped on a 3" Dynavox copy of the old CTS "phenolic ring" tweeter

6LAHuXT.jpg

fwiw, adding an inch and half "stub" to my 5.3" long K-tube, introduced a notch below the passband

Faerber's "Equilbrium" uses a long tube - probably to help achieve time alignment. I've seen what appears to a longer slotted portion than shown below. An extended tube can be used with coaxial in Klam application.

1CHppdf.jpg

Wolf Von Langa's large format field coil driver

_dsc0008a_med_hr.jpeg

fwiw, adding an inch and half "stub" to my 5.3" long K-tube, introduced a notch below the passband

Faerber's "Equilbrium" uses a long tube - probably to help achieve time alignment. I've seen what appears to a longer slotted portion than shown below. An extended tube can be used with coaxial in Klam application.

1CHppdf.jpg

Wolf Von Langa's large format field coil driver

_dsc0008a_med_hr.jpeg

THANKS Freddie, Wolf Von Langa's setup is what i want. :D
Any idea as to what the tube cut plan might be?

Last edited:
that might be a 2 inch format driver (?) - You could make a double size Transylvania Power Company version of "The Tube" with pvc, etc. With a 2" tube, set the overall length to 10.6" - the slot could be based on an ellipse with 21.2" major axis, and a minor axis of pi * the pipe's outside diameter (minus maybe an 1/8" for the starting gap). I assume a 1.4" version could be scaled likewise and "work" (?)

what driver will you use?

that might be a 2 inch format driver (?) - You could make a double size Transylvania Power Company version of "The Tube" with pvc, etc. With a 2" tube, set the overall length to 10.6" - the slot could be based on an ellipse with 21.2" major axis, and a minor axis of pi * the pipe's outside diameter (minus maybe an 1/8" for the starting gap). I assume a 1.4" version could be scaled likewise and "work" (?)

what driver will you use?

Yahoo- now I understand!
Thank you.
3 options: in order of preference
  1. Vifa 19TD5
  2. Philips AD0160/T8
  3. Celestion T3212

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.