What preamp do you use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm building a system with class d amplification. The thing I have been wondering about is what do you use for a preamp or line stage? I wanted to use a dig tube line stage. The issue is most of these amp like a volt or two for full output.

So that leaves me to the question at hand, what do you use?

Thanks,
Nick

Preamp

I'm currently using a passive attenuator. Initially tried a 100K unit, but the sound seemed closed in, perhaps due to forming a low pass filter with the capacitance of the interconnect and amp. Then tried a 10K DACT attentuator - much, much better. The amp is a classdaudio SDS-258 at 250W per channel, so did not see the real need for an active preamp with gain - plenty loud enough with my IPL Acoustics S5tl transmission lines.

Adcom GTP-400.
Actually a tuner and preamp in one box with all the inputs I want.
Able to record one input whilst listening to another, sensitive tuner section, good and usable tone controls and an headphone amp built in.
Drives any and everything I've tried with ease and sounds smooth and clear.
What more could you want?

Ya I know. I was looking at one based of a mac c22. It should give me plenty on voltage gain. Myspeakers are pretty effcient," 101db". And Im going to use ti-600 for each woofer. So I shouldn't have to do much to get it to a resonable listening level.

Or I still might just use a buffer. I'm going to be bi amping the speakers and use peter millets 12ua7 active crossover. So I guess it will have that tube sound rather I have a tube pre or not, LOL.

Nick

Hi all,
I'm building a system with class d amplification. The thing I have been wondering about is what do you use for a preamp or line stage? I wanted to use a dig tube line stage. The issue is most of these amp like a volt or two for full output.

So that leaves me to the question at hand, what do you use?

Thanks,
Nick
Hi, Nick.

Since you ask, I use a Sonic Frontriers LINE 1 tube preamp to drive my Class D Audio SDS-258. The combo is great: the SF L1 is fully balanced and the SDS-258 is optimized for balance input.

LINE 1 outside ...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

LINE 1 inside ...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

SDS-258 (DIY) inside ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.