what is the best 4" FR speaker , under $100-?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking forward to building my first FR speaker after I finish my on going 2.5 way project.

There are 2 brands of FR speakers that always pop up on my mind, Tang band and fostex.

The main question is, What model is the best 4" FR driver under $100- from the 2 brands I mentioned?

Cost no object as long it is below $100- each.:D

The speaker will be used for my PC.

4 inch Fostex would be 103 or the shielded version, 107 and 108.
4 inch Tangband would be the bamboo or the titanium models.

It would be a good matchup imo, but one that will never prove a definite winner because they offer different sounds. All excellent but with different perspectives.

Fostex will be more efficient and more forward sounding while TB will be have fuller bass at the expense of efficiency. Either brand works well with inexpensive (but great sounding) digital amps. Add a sub to either and enjoy a great speaker system limited only to ultimate output.

I suppose the Jordan wins top spot for 4 inch full range drivers but i have never yet had the pleasure of hearing a pair.

A great comparison test would be Jordan vs Fostex vs Tangband in the best set of cabinets for each. Blind listening tests with Tube, SS and digital amps may prove interesting!

Godzilla

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
I suppose the Jordan wins top spot for 4 inch full range drivers but i have never yet had the pleasure of hearing a pair.

A great comparison test would be Jordan vs Fostex vs Tangband in the best set of cabinets for each. Blind listening tests with Tube, SS and digital amps may prove interesting!

I just held my brand new JX92 up against FE127 and the Jordan is bigger,

Got the Jordans to see if the FE127eN can spank them (or not)

FE127 really is 90-91 dB

I've not yet been able to get FE108eS to be as good as FE127eN (or FE126eN)

FX120 & F120A are also here or coming

dave

I noticed that the majority here would recommend a fostex, which I also like. But how about Tang band drivers, Has anybody compared it with fostex?

I also like the Idea of getting 5" drivers , But my desk space is very limited.

Do I still need use BSC on FR speakers when placed on the desk and against the wall?

I've had pretty good results with the uber cheap TangBand W4-655sa, used them in a Cyburg Stick, Buschhorn, and a bookshelf horn. The last was obviously bass-shy, but the midrange is good enough. I'm not sure if they'll compete with ~100 a piece drivers out there, but they are plenty fun for the money.

The JX92s does give them a run for their money though...

>>> So, Zilla, ever get those BiBs for the TB Bamboos assembled? I've always had a soft spot for those things, even though the prices have risen ridiculously, so I'd love to hear about them in a "real" enclosure.

Not yet. I have all the wood up against the wall waiting. Every once in a while i check to make sure i have all the pieces. I do. The Bamboo's still live in ported cabinets happily and serve me (and my family) very well indeed even without a subwoofer in my home theater rig. Everything sounds great with these (accompanying my 40 inch flat screen). I love the TBs for home theater! I prefer them to the Fostex because i can keep them smaller and get deeper, fuller bass. I think Fostex require larger cabinets to sound their best - and they do sound great in proper cabinets!

http://www.zillaspeak.com/Bamboo.asp

>>> Has anybody compared it with fostex?

http://www.zillaspeak.com/4greatfullrangers.asp

I have compared a few Fostex with the Bamboo. I don't think my comments will show one driver to sound better than the others but i tried to describe their different characteristics. I own both brands of drivers (i also have 3 inch TB drivers (metal and paper cone). All the TBs have a similar sound as do the Fostex. Pick your poison i always say. Personally, i think it is easier to get good sound from the TB, the Fostex requiring some wiggling and jiggling with box design and placement.

BTW, if anyone is interested in my 165k BIB i would be happy to sell it to a good home. If i sell it, i can build the Bamboo BIB and listen to that for a while. The 165k BIB is an amazing speaker but i do not seem capable of a monogamous relationship with speakers. If no one wants them i will continue to listen to them happily. But i am trying to make room for other projects.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-godzillabib.asp

Godzilla

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The CSS FR125SR is a nice driver. Whether you choose it over a Fostex has a lot to do with the amp you are mating with it.

The FE series of Fostex have treated cloth surrounds. The really nice surrounds on the eSigma drivers (and FF85) are foam. Modern foam is not the same as the old stuff you see failing all the time.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.