What crossover frequencies should I use for this 3 way build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
YOU MIGHT:
Find a couple used cardboard boxes and construct a full-size Big-Kii mock-up to put on top of your desk, and on a floor stand(box). Sissors...Masking tape..glue...kid's stuff :)

Start with external: 11" wide x 16" deep x 20" high (tweeter at seated ear level)
The 11" width will support large radius front edges, plus a 6"-7" midbass
These dimensions produce ~1.3cuft internal volume. Could you accept taller? Deeper?
Because of the small woofer box volume, DSP is necessary for bass + room equalization.

Satori drivers ~1000 for two speakers
Standard SB drivers ~$600 for two speakers

SB23NRX woofer $95 *2

Satori
MW19P mid $165
TW29R tweet $145
or
Standard
SB17NRZ mid $58
SB29DC tweet $52

Style Comparison

Even with DSP bass boost, ~2cuft internal volume is still desirable for great transients.

Attachments

• Style Comparison.jpg
    Style Comparison.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 197
I built something similar once, but on a much larger (10cf) scale.

FloorStander with side-side woofers. 4cuft ported volume allows F3~30Hz with passive crossovers.

Vokus...a slightly smaller "Big Kii" internal volume can be equalized with modest power boost to F3 ~40Hz instead of super low F3 ~20Hz. Small internal woofer volumes when demanding massive boost down to 20Hz often sound "dull".

Attachments

• FloorStander SideWoofs.jpg
    FloorStander SideWoofs.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 250
I did a real quick model in Onshape with actual driver dimensions.

This is using the 4,6,8 Satori Drivers.

It looks good to me.

This is a 12 wide, 20 tall, 20 deep box.

This is about 2.7cuft (outside dimensions, wood and drivers not accounted for).

Next I need to build a 12x20x20 cardboard box and hold it in my hands.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

https://s31.postimg.org/o5mmdoma3/image.jpg
https://s31.postimg.org/5rc39p9zf/image.jpg
https://s31.postimg.org/4qbukkszv/image.jpg

Sidenote!!!
On-Shape is Awesome.

• Free.
  • Models like Solid Works.
  • Runs inside a Web Browser.

FloorStander with side-side woofers. 4cuft ported volume allows F3~30Hz with passive crossovers.

Vokus...a slightly smaller "Big Kii" internal volume can be equalized with modest power boost to F3 ~40Hz instead of super low F3 ~20Hz. Small internal woofer volumes when demanding massive boost down to 20Hz often sound "dull".

Hi LineSource, can you provide more information about these projects?

Hi LineSource, can you provide more information about these projects?

The idea of a larger "Kii" style speaker was presented to meet vokus goal of 12" bass power in a cabinet which can be used both on top of a desk, or on a room stand. To test the idea, I ran Baffle Diffraction Simulator for the Big Kii cabinet to get compensation files, and spliced together sealed alignments for the midbass and woofers. A quick Xsim was run to confirm this combination of drivers had a good SPL match, and that a decent response was possible even with a passive Xover. Deep bass with this small box volume will require DSP bass boost plus compensation for room effects. I ran LinkwitzTransform simulations which showed 20Hz F3 bass transform required 25x power boost, while a 30Hz F3 bass transform required 5x power boost. Example: if vokus finds placement problems from the prototpe 20" depth, he knows he can reduce the depth by accepting higher amplifier boost watts, or less deep bass boost...DSP set to F3 of 30-35Hz instead of 20-25Hz.
------------
The floor standing "Kronos Klone" cabinet has enough woofer box volume(4cuft) for a ported alignment with F3~30Hz with the 8" SB23NRX45-8 woofers. Simulations with the driver alignments plus cabinet compensations confirmed that an all-passive ported design could have good results. You would want to construct the cabinet and perform measurements with the real drivers, plus simulations to design the final crossover and select standard value components. My work can give some confidence that the speakers selected work well together on a horizontal baffle.
------------

Attachments

• Kronos Klone Kabinet.jpg
    Kronos Klone Kabinet.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Kronos Klone example Xover.jpg
    Kronos Klone example Xover.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 164
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.