Wharfedale Super 10/RS/DD 16000 lines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Goldjazz,

The driver you have should give a smoother treble response than the older Super 10 which didn't have the whizzer cone. I have several of the non whizzer cone type with the large cylindrical red alnico magnet and one original 10 CSB with a cloth (felt) annulus and bronze voice coil. Yours should also have a foam damper attached to the underside of the whizzer cone. Despite the era, it seems Mr. Briggs was aware of the potential harshness imparted by such a cone despite it's intended diffusion properties. I did find these pieces of info for you.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Practical/Wireless/60s/PW-1964-06.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...NAhVW1WMKHTbkB4gQsAQIGw#imgrc=txyZblv4sJvEEM:

If you're interested in the works of a Wharfedale nut, see my Wharfedale pages in my website. The Wharfedale Pages

Please be careful with those speakers. They are old and the adhesives have aged. Also, the uinits have a 1 inch voice coil so trying to rattle the rafters isn't advisable.

Here's another link to an old thread here on diyAudio dating to 2006. Only two folks in the thread but coincidentally enough, both are from 'down under'.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/46068-cabinets-wharfedale-10-rs-dd-golden.html

And another you might find interesting. This one is a 15 mB pdf file.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Wharfedale_cat_files/Wharf_kits.pdf

For more info, type this wharfedale super 10 rs/dd into a search engine, such as google.

Robert

Cheers for the reply and finding all that info Klipschorn. Haven't got these yet. Do you think they're worth taking a punt on? I like to get speakers for a price at which I know I can sell them again and not make a loss after I've enjoyed listening to them. These are in fairly nice homemade cabinets. Any idea what a pair should be worth?

To be sweet, short and to the point, they're worth whatever you're willing to pay for them. Unlike established pieces d'art, I know of no catalogue for vintage speakers. When selling such things on places like ebay, the result can be anything from disappointing to astonishing. I once saw a pair of 15 inch Tannoy Golds bring $2700 and a pair of Western Electric 555 high frequency horn drivers from the 30's bring an astounding $10,500. There was also a few pairs of Goodman's Axion 80's, eight inch co-axial bring between $4000 and $7000.

It can be seen from the above paragraph that such speakers can bring a very good price at an auction but unfortunately, I have not noticed the same for most. I have seen, though, a few instances of original Briggs' cabinets with sand filled panels bring a hefty price. There is something to be said about vintage and original and the best I can say about that is nostalgia which can sometimes far exceed practicality.

Robert

Did you end up buying these?

I've had the ferrite and alnico versions for years. I really wanted to like them, but couldn't. To my ear, they are initially OK. You could probably listen to elevator music on them all day, but for more demanding listening, they are too flawed to keep (scratchy / harsh).

I was running mine (stock units) with a helper 12" (also Wharfedale) and simple crossover. I tried open baffle and sealed.

Eventually I 'fixed' them by removing the whizzers and varnishing the cones with dammar, to use them as the bass drivers in a FAST. I've since deconstructed that project, and the Wharfedales are now in storage.

...which means I have some surplus (modified) Alnico Wharfedale drivers I'd happily swap for pretty much anything, if you're in Melbourne. A few bottles of porter would do nicely :)

Did you end up buying these?

I've had the ferrite and alnico versions for years. I really wanted to like them, but couldn't. To my ear, they are initially OK. You could probably listen to elevator music on them all day, but for more demanding listening, they are too flawed to keep (scratchy / harsh).

I was running mine (stock units) with a helper 12" (also Wharfedale) and simple crossover. I tried open baffle and sealed.

Eventually I 'fixed' them by removing the whizzers and varnishing the cones with dammar, to use them as the bass drivers in a FAST. I've since deconstructed that project, and the Wharfedales are now in storage.

...which means I have some surplus (modified) Alnico Wharfedale drivers I'd happily swap for pretty much anything, if you're in Melbourne. A few bottles of porter would do nicely :)

Ha hi nah didn't end up getting them. They are at a place I could get them anytime I guess. Interesting impressions. Also very interesting that these seem to be so prevalent in Australia for some reason. Ha Cheers for the swap offer, but no thank, I'm in Sydney btw.

Interesting impressions.

Drivers with whizzers have peaks and dips of 10dB or more, that's just how they do.

This article gives some good info:

Wharfedale Super 8

Also very interesting that these seem to be so prevalent in Australia for some reason.

I think post WW2 it was easier to get stuff you could buy with pounds - so our vintage market is tilted towards Tannoys and Wharfedales and so on.

Cash and Carry and Lend Lease had some very long-term effects, both in explicit restrictions (there were many, this is one example):

"Under the terms of Lend Lease Britain was not allowed to export any similar item to those goods that comprised any part of the lease plan. American inspectors were based in Britain to carefully scrutinise this arrangement."

...and indirectly: because Britain had been forced to sell all its bullion, and all assets in the US (to buy munitions), it was hard for the British to earn US dollars, post war.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.