Vintage V-FET Amps - Where Has All The Interest Gone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back in 2005 2006 there was all kinds of interest here in these wonderful amps with lots of threads posts going on but these days there's hardly a reference to them. I find myself wondering what happened especially since I enjoy mine so much. With a little DIY TLC added to bring them back up to design specs, V-FET amps like the Yamaha B-1, B-2, and the Sonys offer superb sonics that IMHO rival modern TOTL amps.

Anybody care to add a comment why?

There is still a lot of interest for them here in the Netherlands.

The problem is that, when the V-FETs break down, you can not get parts.
That scares away a lot of buyers. But when a V-FET amplifier does get sold, it goes for big money compared to its generation-companions.

The problem is that, when the V-FETs break down, you can not get parts. That scares away a lot of buyers. But when a V-FET amplifier does get sold, it goes for big money compared to its generation-companions.

Yes, this is sad but true. I'll admit that I was put off by that fact at first too. But after some research I learned that at least in the case of the Yamaha B-1 and B-2, they were designed and built to last and if you take the time to ensure the power supply and protection circuitry are in good shape by recapping and reconditioning, pound for pound these amps will give superior listening pleasure long into the future and IMHO well worth the risk. :up: :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.