Velodyne vs Madisound or partsexpress kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMO, store bought subwoofers are the easiest thing to beat in regards to DIY.
For instance.. if you want high output at very low frequencies, grab a pair of CSS SDX15's or something and put them in proper enclosures, along with a suitable pro amp.. like an EP2500, QSC RMX series, or Mackie FR series. And there you have it.. a foundation rattling pant flapping subwoofer that'll compete/blow away just about anything available in stores. And that's just a very basic setup.. not even getting into TL's, horns, and all that yet. It's a no brainer. Don't pay for the outrageous Velodyne. Build your own. You'll be glad you did. In fact, you'll probably find it difficult to think back on that Velodyne without laughing at it in comparison.

Actually, since you mentioned Parts Express..

I kept a friend's Dayton Reference series 15" HF for a good period of time while he worked on getting other parts of his system together. If you're determined to go the subwoofer route, I highly recommend you check them out. VERY nice drivers for the money.

Can't go wrong with the Partsexpress RS line. From what I've read, the 12" is the best bang for the buck. The HO models require a smaller cabinet size thenthe HF but perform essentially the same. Larger then that (15") there are other alternatives that can handle more power and have more x-max. Sorry I can't remember the brands/models.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.