Variable Voltage Volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to replace the output stage PS with Battery supply on a Panasonic SA_XR57 amplifier as I believe the quality of the PS is the most important sonic determiner in these non-feedback equibit digital amplifiers.

The volume control in these amps is firstly through DSP & then through PS voltage reduction, I believe.

My hope would be to try and tie the battery PS to this scheme! Has anybody any idea on this?

Or what is needed to provide a separate variable voltage PS supply controlled from a potentiometer?

I have included the schematic of the existing Vol controlled (Circled) PS

Attachments

• xr57 schematic part1.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 124
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It's possible - anything is possible. You can design a variable output voltage supply, actually two of them, one pos, one neg, controlled by a dual pot. Most of the advantage of the batt supply would disappear with the reg between battery and circuit, of course. You would need a lot of heatsinking for those situations where you would turn the supply down - the reg should dissipate all unused voltage times the drawn current.
In your switched amp that was easy because the supply was also switched. Anyway, as I said, it can be done.

Or you can just use the volume control. It's a matter of priorities ;)

Jan Didden

Ok Jan,
So the battery is meaningless in this scenario! So best to try improve this SMPS! Added capacitance on the output will probably help! Do you have any suggestions for further improvement.

Don't know what you mean by
Or you can just use the volume control
the existing volume is digital from -72 to -40db , then voltage-based volume from -40 to -10db ( 5V to 40V ) , and then digital again from -10 to 0db

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.