TV stand with built in speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I moved into a new house last July. We need a TV stand for the sun room. I built the stand with a air of speakers on stand but the wife didn't like the idea it was too close to the sliding glass door.

Music is very important to me I need to have what I want and keep the wife happy at the same time. I decide to redo the stand with components that I already have.

It's a 3 way with Dynavox tweeter, Dayton 5" mid, Tang Band 6.5" sub. The crossover is a dayton 3way from their catalog.

I was very surprise of the bass from the 6.5" sub. The wife is pleased I got what I wanted and all my friends was very impressed with the sound. It's compact not wide enough for a good stereo separation, but overall the sound is very clean.

I power it with a couple combination Parasound P5, Rotel 1050, Jolida tube DAC and Chinese tube preamp.

This summer I will redo the crossover and built 3 way 3rd order bi-amp set up. I will cryo treat the caps and inductors as well. I'm thinking of using a tube amp for the mid high and solid state for the low end. I have this same set up in my main system as well, Dynaco ST70 for the mid/hi, Parasound A21 for the low.

All the internal wiring, speaker cable and connection cables are all cryogenically treated

I'm just having fun building speakers.

Attachments

• entertainment.jpg
    entertainment.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 125
  • entertainment2.jpg
    entertainment2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 102
  • entertainment3.jpg
    entertainment3.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 99
  • entertainment4.jpg
    entertainment4.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 98
  • entertainment5.jpg
    entertainment5.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 102
  • entertainment6.jpg
    entertainment6.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 80
  • entertainment7.jpg
    entertainment7.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 69
  • entertainment8.jpg
    entertainment8.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Nice carpentry skills but your speakers are way too close together to get a decent sound stage and your ports are too close to the wall so you may get boomy bass. On the same note, do you have any internal damping of those speaker boxes? I'm sure it sounds much better than your TV's internal speakers, but as for bi-amping and cryo treating the caps and inductors....don't bother,really.

Last edited:
Yes, it is too close and it's too close to the wall. I knew that when I started the project as the room isn't very large. The wife didn't like the speaker on stand I was moving it back and forth to get the sound stage.

I do have acoustic fiber in the box.

You could try mounting the port on the front baffle. That will allow you to get closer to the wall without boomy bass but you'd have to redesign the stand I guess. In addition to the acoustic fibre, try lining the box walls with the stuff they use for damping car panels like Dynamat or Silent Coat. Cheaper alternatives are aluminized butyl rubber flashing tape - Peel'n'Seal in the States. Cork floor tiles good too.

I think bi-amping and cryo treating the caps and inductors might be taking things a bit too far for what it is.

Oh and a rug in front of the stand to minimise secondary reflections off the tiled floor.

Last edited:
You could try mounting the port on the front baffle. That will allow you to get closer to the wall without boomy bass but you'd have to redesign the stand I guess. In addition to the acoustic fibre, try lining the box walls with the stuff they use for damping car panels like Dynamat or Silent Coat. Cheaper alternatives are aluminized butyl rubber flashing tape - Peel'n'Seal in the States. Cork floor tiles good too.

I think bi-amping and cryo treating the caps and inductors might be taking things a bit too far for what it is.

Oh and a rug in front of the stand to minimise secondary reflections off the tiled floor.

Rug is a good idea I just haven't use the room much it's very cold here without heat in the room, but will get 1. Bi-amp maybe too much for this set up. I'm going to at least redo the crossover with better components and same crossover slope at all frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.