• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes and music styles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

I would like to know your opinion about the most common output tubes and the best music style they go with. As we say here, each monkey on it's branch.
For instance, i know that a 300B has generaly poor bass.
Having a ECL82 amp from WAD, i find it goes well with most of the music i listen to (pop, electronic, ambient, jazz), but it once really really brought to life a song from the band Electronic, an acoustic theme with strings (Soviet). I had never listen to it with so much detail and depth.; impressive. Unfortunately, can't say the same for Gershwin's piano solos.

Cheers!

Tubes do not cut bass

Correct, but output transformers often does.

About tubes and music styles: A friend of mine designed an EL34 triode wired SE amp a couple of years ago for another guy that planned to sell kits.
IIRC the amp sounded pretty good, but just for fun he also tried 6L6´s as power tubes. According to the designer, 6L6 was the obvious choice for all kinds of rock music.

Piano has rather nasty transients. Compressed underpowered SETs will have trouble with it (as will clipped underpowered PP amplifiers).

My experience shows most problems with piano recordings start with the source. A properly recorded piano cd (Harmonia Mundi France e.g.) can sound absolutely magical with SET and high quality full-range driver speakers.

A high quality SET amp will reveal KRAPPO recording technique that muy-feedback pentode push-pull amps will mask.

John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
The apparent lack of bass in some triode amps is probably due to using little or no NFB, with the resultant low damping of the speaker. The effect would also depend on the type of speaker being used, though, since some speaker units require more damping than others.

My experience shows most problems with piano recordings start with the source.

I strongly agree with this! Listening to various piano concertos, from CDs that were recorded by different companies, I found widely different sound quality on transients. The fact that a particularly "violent" concerto can sound good from the right recording company suggests that the fault doesn't lie with the amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.