Tube Playback, Recording Amplifier for Reel Tape Recorder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am engaged in the restoration of "Electronics 004", the Russian clone of the Revox A-700. Wonderful mechanics, and not very successful sound circuitry. I am looking for a circuit on the lamps of a playback amplifier, recording amplifier for playback at a speed of 15 ips, 2 tracks, with correction of NAB and CCIR. There is a set of heads from Revox A-77.

I think to make a separate unit, so there are no restrictions on the lamps and dimensions. In the playback amplifier, I think to use a pentode at the input. Type EF86, 6AU6 .. for example, the output is either a pentode in the triode mode of type EL84, or a triode, for example 6N6P. But I don’t have an understanding of the recording amplifier yet.

Last edited:
I have a book at father's book called "Grabadores de cinta" (Tape recorders) from a well known engineer here in Argentina, Julio Rueda. I can scan or photograph some pages of the book for you, but the text is in Spanish. Although the formulaes are understandables. But, for legal issues I will not post them here. Send me an email to lw1dseATgmailDOTcom or lw1dseATyahooDOT com, and the next week I possibly are sending this stuff. Unfortunatelly the book isn't available in the net.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• RevoxG36circuit.gif
    RevoxG36circuit.gif
    185.9 KB · Views: 151
I found this, an old scanned article. here you have an example:

Thank you very much)

However, to me the playback amplifier of the G36 doesn´t sound very good. But what do you expect from three ECC83 in row ;)

I absolutely agree with you.

The playback amplifier for the tape recorder is essentially the same RIAA corrector. Accordingly, with the recalculated correction. The next question is matching the Revox A-77 playback head with a playback amplifier.
I do not have enough knowledge and information to do this myself. Electronics is a pleasant hobby for me.

Last edited:
Hello,

I built my own playback amplifier in exact the same way by using a good RIAA stage and changing the time constants. Just changed the triode input stage to EF86 pentode.

Using also an A77 playback head in my G36 I´m getting exactly the frequency response I wanted.

The A77 head does the same as the G36 head. Just 6dB less output voltage.

Best regards,
Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.