• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Flash Drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dito. I have the same concerns.
But I respect others opinions :usd:

I'm also in this camp...
SteamPunk bothers me.. I would LOVE to see modern design that features the components (similar to our tube amps w/ the tubes on display, and the way Victorians built engines and things) but to simply add guilding and lights and copper disks for no reason is gaudy!
Obviously, just my opinion.

Last edited:
My wife who is a design professional would probably like your cleaner design more than my tubes on display type. At least I don't cross the line and have other stuff that's not really in use hanging off the chassis :)
I know a lot of people will say it's all opinion and there is no right or wrong when it comes to industrial design, but my wife would certainly argue that point and thinks there IS a correct way. But we're way off topic by now.

About the OP, that would be about the easiest DIY project for any of us.. Go buy a small USB flash drive, a copper pipe end cap, some silicone sealant, an led, and BAM.. 10 min later you've got one.

it's not actually being used, so 5v on the 6.3v filament might work. (the person who builds those things probably doesn't even know what a filament is) Not sure if it would be bright enough, though. That, and maybe making the base a tube socket or something less flashy than a pipe endcap w/ guilding tacked on, would change it from over the top goofy, to something interesting, in my opinion.
and sorry, I have no right whatsoever being a design snob.. I'm used to design snobbery, though, cause of Julie and her 2 design masters degrees :).

I'll pass but not for aesthetic reasons, but more for the fact that I usually take a USB key and put it in my jacket or pants pocket. Wouldn't do that with a "very good" tested or "dead" vacuum tube though as I can't imagine having bits and pieces of sharp glass and metal jab into my leg and other body parts being all that pleasant.

Well... except maybe for the 7034 (staring at a 4X150A right now) vacuum tube as it has a more robust package, but there is always an exception to every rule isn't there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.