Tube Amp PS - Feasible Boost Converter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Has anyone ever explored or heard of someone exploring the idea of isolating, rectifying, and smoothing at mains voltage with a much higher capacitance to get a cleaner DC, and then boost converting from 170 VDC to B+ voltages for plate supplies? I ask because 200V capacitors are cheaper than 450V capacitors in much higher values, and PTs are the most expensive single part in most tube amplifiers.

This is just food for thought for now, to see if this is even a feasible idea.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

All safety considerations would be made - I did mention isolation in my first post. At first glance from the supplier I usually buy from, isolation transformers are cheaper than step-up transformers and have a smaller footprint, so the idea still seems economic enough to discuss (so far, at least).

The 125V isolation transformer output would be full-wave rectified, smoothed with a very large capacitance, and then sent through both a boost converter to hit B+ voltages and a buck converter to hit heater filament voltages. The idea is to get very clean B+ and DC heaters.

I haven't seen any tube amplifiers using switching DC-DC converters. Do you know any textbook examples or people who've attempted it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.