Transformer Question, basic electronics


2001-08-17 2:38 am
Ok I am pretty clueless when it comes to basic electronics besides basic resistor circuits. Anyways I am trying to find a transformer to convert .5 volts to 5 volts and vice versa, what specs should I look for. I am using this for digital transfer along S/PDIF, my portable DAT deck uses non-standard voltages hence the need for this. I have been told by a very reliable source that a "pulse transformer" can do this. If anyone knows of a good web site that will show me electronic equations I would love it, or if you know the specs I would appreciate it too. Thanks,
Go the simple way:

Go to and see if you can find (in their catalog) a unit for this purpose. It needs to have a turns ration of 1:10 (low:high voltage). As I recall you should use a 75 Ohm unit, but Sony and Phillips in their infinite wisdom used phono plugs which have the wrong impedance, so it might not matter too much. You will find the info you need in the catalog regardless of whether it is a unit for 50 or 75 Ohm cable you need.



2001-11-15 4:22 pm
hi all, i'm new to this page! imo, i would think a voltage comparator would be a better way to go, smaller, less current draw, higher input/lower output impedance than that transformer. you should be able to use a single ended power supply for the opamp as well, bipolar is just about always better but for a comparator +12v and ground should work fine. email me if you have questions/schematic. comments anyone?