transformer help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am very new to the electronics schene , but learning by the day.
i have purchased a adcom gfa 5800 from the usa which is 115v, i thought wrongly that this was also capable of operating from a 240v supply here in the united kingdom.
is it possible to use this transformer from 240v?
can it be adapted for 240v supply
or where can i get a replacement transfomer , or would the 115v one be able to be rewound for 240v .

what readings would i need to take to use to detemine a suitable replacement.

many thanks adrian

adrianc said:
i thought wrongly that this was also capable of operating from a 240v supply here in the united kingdom

many thanks adrian
How did you make the determination that it won't work off of 240V. Have you removed the cover and inspected the inside? My limited experience with Adcom is that their equipment generally is capable of dual voltage. Check the transformer. You should see two general grouping of wires. There should be a set of wires going to the transformer from the mains supply. These are the primary coil(s) and a set of wires coming from the transformer going to the amplifier circuitry. These are the secondary coils. If there are 4 wires on the primary side of the transformer, then your transformer has dual primary coils. For 115V they are wired in parallel and for 230V they are wired in series. There should be some provision internally--barrier strips, faston connectors, etc. To change the configuration from parallel to series and thus the voltage from 115V to 230V.

Check this Plitron page for reference. See the schematic for Type 7 primary.

Good luck.

thank you for your advise. i have checked inside the amplifier, and there are only two wires coming from the transformer, to the power supply. this model is unlike my gfa555 11 which has as you have discribed a split transformer. i have just bought a service manual and this model comes with a transfomer for 115v and anotherone for 240v.
if i was to get the transformer rewound , what readings should i take from the transformer. i could power this up with a 240v-115v transformer which we use here for construction power tools. my wife would not want a yellow site transformer in the living room as a long term option lol

Wow, I am surprised that Adcom shorted the consumer this way. It is too bad that they did not use dual voltage transformers. I found this descrition of the 5800 on the web

"The GFA-5800 is a truly different power amplifier than any ADCOM has offered before. The power supply uses three separate transformers: a large toroidal transformer with multiple secondaries that supplies voltages for the output stages. Additionally, two transformers, one for each channel, are used for powering the amplifier's input circuitry. This design provides an exceptional degree of isolation between the amplifier's front end circuitry and the output stage which enhances soundstaging and reduces interstage interference."

Are there really 3 separate transformers in this amp? Three separate transformers may pose a significant problem to converting the voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.