Transformer buzzing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a pic. They all seem to be doing it.

Attachments

• 20200216_055753.jpg
    20200216_055753.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
Many cheap Xformers have loosish plates, which resonate against each other, but I imagine yours are not cheap.

I cannot remember after 40 years if there are resulting forces between the coils and the core, but feel sure there are from instinct. Many are potted to prevent this and to keep moisture out. I've superglued the cheaper wall-wart types, squeezing the core plates together, but consideration needs to be given to temperature and flammability.

I take it that this is a class D power Amp?

Last edited:
Probably wont be heard during use but the reason the amp was brought to me was specifically because of the buzzing coming from the power supply. I've found simply repositioning the wires remedied the buzz. I just want to make sure the noise doesnt indicate a problem with the function of the power supply.

There's no way for me to say that there is absolutely, 100% no problem but it's likely OK. Some transformers have loose windings that will make noise. Amps with regulated power supplies tend to be noisier than those that are unregulated.

The best option is just what you did. Applying anything to the windings will reduce their ability to cool.

Well I can say that the advice u have given me has made me money. There are times when I am stuck where I dont have a clue what to do next and without your guidance would have likely thrown in the towel. The way I see it u are entitled to some of the profit that was a direct result of your knowledge. Anyways I'm sure hearing thank u all the time sort of wears away its meaning but I want u to know I truly am sincerely thankful and appreciative of all your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.