tighter bass

Greets!

My definition of 'tighten' means to lower the sysQ, so tune it lower (longer vent). Raising sysQ (shorter vent) would be more 'slam', or 'punch'.

That said, BoxPlot predicts this cab is too big for this driver, so I would first either try damping the vent or reducing the Vb to ~100L to roll off the peaking at Fb.

GM
 
GM said:
Greets!

My definition of 'tighten' means to lower the sysQ, so tune it lower (longer vent). Raising sysQ (shorter vent) would be more 'slam', or 'punch'.

That said, BoxPlot predicts this cab is too big for this driver, so I would first either try damping the vent or reducing the Vb to ~100L to roll off the peaking at Fb.

GM
hi there, when i run the driver in WINISD PRO, it calls for a little over 5 cu ft. for QB3 alignment is this program that far off? my actual internal volume is about 4.7 cu ft with 4" x14" vent. thanks, crippledchicken


:)
 
johninCR said:
I'd suggest that before you change your box, put a variable pot instead of a resistor across that extra VC. That adjustability will help it be a better dual purpose sub. Then if you still need it "tighter" for music (which really depends on your tastes), stuff that port.
yeah, the pot is a good way to go i've been planing to get one just haven't done so yet. whats a good type pot to use for that? thanks

:)
 
Greets!

OK, then try damping the vent first and if you're not pleased, then lower tuning to 16-17Hz. I don't use flared vents and I know they need to be longer for a given Fb than the base tube diameter implies, but I get ~17.4 Hz for a 4" x 14" straight pipe and I'm surprised the flares would raise it that much.

Anyway, you're right, it needs a bigger cab, I would use ~5.4ft^3 tuned to 16-17Hz.

GM
 
GM said:
Greets!

OK, then try damping the vent first and if you're not pleased, then lower tuning to 16-17Hz. I don't use flared vents and I know they need to be longer for a given Fb than the base tube diameter implies, but I get ~17.4 Hz for a 4" x 14" straight pipe and I'm surprised the flares would raise it that much.

Anyway, you're right, it needs a bigger cab, I would use ~5.4ft^3 tuned to 16-17Hz.

GM
thanks GM, you have been a great help. i think i need to try and save up some funds, and buy a little more accurate modeling program. cheers, crippledchicken


:)
 
Greets!

You're welcome, though we almost had a 'failure to communicate', and I'm really not 'with it' tonight, I didn't even think about changing the series resistor on the other VC. :(

Anyway, DW use to recommend a cheap 100 ohm, 5W pot from Digi-key, but they have a $25 min. billing IIRC, though if you have a 1 ohm resistor you can swap out, it will lower the Qts to ~0.384, yielding a similar roll off as the lower tuning.

GM
 
GM said:
Greets!

You're welcome, though we almost had a 'failure to communicate', and I'm really not 'with it' tonight, I didn't even think about changing the series resistor on the other VC. :(

Anyway, DW use to recommend a cheap 100 ohm, 5W pot from Digi-key, but they have a $25 min. billing IIRC, though if you have a 1 ohm resistor you can swap out, it will lower the Qts to ~0.384, yielding a similar roll off as the lower tuning.

GM
sounds great! i have a lot of old radios and other equipment i might find a pot in or, resistors. reguards, crippledchicken


:)