Thtlp for a friend

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Built this for a friend, liked it so much working on building one for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 302
Nice one, but doesn't this gives a rather long throw? (So needs some distance to the listeners)
No, the sound pressure level for horn subs falls off at 6 dB per doubling of distance from the cabinet face, just as it does with any other type of sub woofer. Horn subs may have a bit more directionality in the upper range, from around 70 Hz up, which makes the placement more apparent than a front loaded sub.

Low frequency response is affected by room modes, which can result (with any type of sub) that output may be louder at certain frequencies some distance away. Sub horns with a very large mouth area spread the SPL over a large area, so can give an impression that the sound "has not developed" until some distance from the mouth, but that is a room effect- the same sub outdoors will drop according to the inverse distance law.

Art

which driver? The standard Dayton RSS390HF?
Yes that is the one I used. With the limited time I had with the first one, didn't have time to run any sweeps. Listening suggest very strong below 80hz, but run out of steam crossed any higher. I settled on 60hz during my limited listening time with the first one. After I get this one done will run some sweeps and see what it is doing in my room. Really like the Dayton drivers, great bang for the buck.

must say,
i've built subs for YEARS>>> built a 'coffin TL', table tuba, a variety of other ported and sealed even built a copy of the Danley couch sub. built the THTLP a couple years ago, played for a while and put it in the garage. just started building a 'swarm' using CSS SDX10 subs in individual boxes...for grins brought back in the THTLP and was stunned! had to dial back the sub a ton and it just spanked everything i'd built before. for bang/watt, i can't imagine anything touching this rig. so clean and deep. i'm using it with a pair of Elsinore MKV speakers and it's truly sublime.
cheers,
Scott

Any chance of a look at some table tuba plans? I'm interested in building one, and can buy my own plans, just want to see under the hood, and get a bead on the recommended drivers before I commit... I'm wanting a "Coffee table" horn styled bin, mostly for my HT but will want to try it in my hifi as well.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Wayne

Any chance of a look at some table tuba plans? I'm interested in building one, and can buy my own plans, just want to see under the hood, and get a bead on the recommended drivers before I commit... I'm wanting a "Coffee table" horn styled bin, mostly for my HT but will want to try it in my hifi as well.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Wayne

MCM Audio Select 8'' High Excursion Woofer - 120W RMS 4ohm | 55-2421 (552421) | MCM Audio Select
or if you can spare the cash,

Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer

A google image search for "table tuba" should give you an idea of how the internals are laid out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.