Three way crossover question

Was I wrong. My problem doesn't exist. I played the CD on my two other systems and it sounds exactly the same on all three. Seems this recording, and especially the first track, accents stick clicking/tapping sound on cymbals above the cymbal sound in the left and accents the cymbal sound above the stick tapping sound in the right. I haven't heard such a pronounced difference before. Going forward, when I think there is a problem, I will make it standard practice to use all three systems to aid diagnosis. Sorry for all the unecessary posts.

This is an update on the mid range filter and a question. I've added more caps and now the mid range filter has 153uF. The upper piano notes are still a bit too predominate so I increased the resistor value from 5oHms to 14oHms and it was an improvement. But the upper piano notes are still a bit too predominate. My question is, instead of adding more caps would increasing the resistor value be a good option? That would be much less costly than buying more caps.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've used a 'blank' driver, beginning with what you posted in #151 then increasing the capacitance to 153uF and then increasing the resistance to 14 ohms. Also consider the midrange at Fs will have an impedance peak so the resistance may increase the Q of the lower rolloff.

Untitled.png

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That's right.

Sometimes when you cut too far, for example leaving the tweeter more exposed near its cross then it can stand out. I'm just thinking out loud here.. If it has a smooth rolloff then it's necessary to get the next driver in underneath it to support it in frequency. Crossover blending can be challenging to get right sometimes.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Ok. As the plot suggests you can adjust level with the resistor, but maybe you need to change the capacitors at the same time.

Also, an L-pad (in other words a resistor across the driver) could help if you get a lower peak due to the impedance. I can't remember, was there an impedance plot you were using in simulations?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Better to leave the 4.7 ohm resistor before the capacitor. If you change it to after the capacitor you will probably introduce a peak in the response. (It could be done the other way but it needs care and perhaps that means simulation..)

So you can still add a resistor across the driver like the crossover is now, and it will still bring the levels down, and it will protect from low impedance while helping with the resonance peak.

I was amazed at the effect of adding an resistor across the driver. I started with a 2.2ohm and the upper piano not'es volume was reduced. Next I replaced it with a 1.5omh resistor and there was more reduction. Next I replaced it with a 1.0ohm and the reduction was getting close to what I like. Next I replaced it with a 0.68 and it was just about right. Next I tried a 0.47 ohm and the upper piano notes got much louder. So I'm sticking with the 0.68ohm resistor. But why would the 0.47 have made the upper notes louder than the 2.2ohm resistor? The series resistor is 5.0 ohms. Would reducing that increase or decrease the upper notes volume?

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What you do is not the way it should be done. Putting smaller and smaller resistance across the speaker is basically shunting an audio signal to ground.
But you are presenting lower and lower impedance to the amplifier. Not only this leads to higher distortion, but at higher power may damage amplifier.
If you want to attenuate some band after crossover going into speaker, use proper l-pad. It reduces the volume, but maintains constant impedance for amplifier.
See pic.
And btw what you describe 0.47 being louder than 2.2 ohm is nonsense.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 30