"The Monitor"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Exiting new project starting here. (I think so anyway)

A 2-way monitor loudspeaker using Audiotechnology C-Quenze 18H woofer - possibly using two passive radiators. Tweeters - Hiquphon OW II / Morel Supreme 110 / Scanspeak Revelator...

I've put everything on my own homepage so everything can be followed in one place. It won't be finished in a week - but I'll make sure I document everything carefully.

You can find all the details here: http://users.telenet.be/hexateq

I would be particularly interested in any advice with concern to the tweeter choice, passive radiator Y/N ? or the current graph for the C-quenze driver. I do like the styling element of 2 passive radiators although the sonic benefits are not too clear..

Cheers,

Richard

richardkrol said:

ALERT - ALERT - ALERT

You know how I'm always complaining about overly large pictures that slow down loading? Well, this one takes the cake. Between the large pics and the slow server I could have gone out and had a couple of beers. My dad had a bypass in less time than it took this site to load.

26+ minutes. I thought I was gonna die.

richardkrol said:
Exiting new project starting here. (I think so anyway)

A 2-way monitor loudspeaker using Audiotechnology C-Quenze 18H woofer - possibly using two passive radiators. Tweeters - Hiquphon OW II / Morel Supreme 110 / Scanspeak Revelator...

I've put everything on my own homepage so everything can be followed in one place. It won't be finished in a week - but I'll make sure I document everything carefully.

I would be particularly interested in any advice with concern to the tweeter choice, passive radiator Y/N ? or the current graph for the C-quenze driver. I do like the styling element of 2 passive radiators although the sonic benefits are not too clear..

Cheers,

Richard

Pardon the pun, but I'm baffled as to why people (all kinds) continue to design their baffles BEFORE optimizing drivers and crossovers. Driver off-set can be rather important to the sound, and unless you can adjust the crossover "on-the-fly" (usually digitally) you are probably not going to get the best sound possible.

As to the driver choices.. what will be the order of the crossover (and what type)? Considering that the AT driver is 6+ inches the 30 degree off-axis mark will likely start deviating around 2kHz, with substantial deviation 60 degrees off-axis at this freq.. If possible I'd shoot for a value of around 1.8-2kHz (preferably 1.8) for your crossover freq.. Considering that most tweeters do not have linear responses much below 1.5 kHz suggests a higher order slope. (i.e. at least 2nd order with 6db down at crosspoint type). Choice of slope (and type) however should also consider the relative phase of the two drivers. Because of the need for a linear response to at least 1.5kHz I'd say the Hiquphon is out. Between the other two tweeters I'd probably pick the one that extended lower at level (i.e. linear).

For the type of venting (taking into account your desired speaker size) I'd seriously consider compound passive radiators as described in the Loudspeaker CookBook. There would be aprox. a 30% increase in volume required, but extension would increase by another half-octave (over a normal bass reflex/passive radiator design) and group delay would be better as well. (..if you want to make a bigger speaker I'd opt for T-line)

Re: Re: "The Monitor"

Bill Fitzpatrick said:

ALERT - ALERT - ALERT

You know how I'm always complaining about overly large pictures that slow down loading? Well, this one takes the cake. Between the large pics and the slow server I could have gone out and had a couple of beers. My dad had a bypass in less time than it took this site to load.

26+ minutes. I thought I was gonna die.

I didn't know there were people still using modems in civilized areas.:D

Re: Re: Re: "The Monitor"

soongsc said:

I didn't know there were people still using modems in civilized areas.:D

Only 11% in the U.S. have broadband.
The leader is S. Korea at 26%

Trouble is that those with broadband think that everyone has it. That really ticks me off. Regardless, there is no excuse for 500K pics. Idiots.

Like many others, I want it but can't get it.

P.S. What makes you think the U.S. is civilized?

Look putting 500k pics on is not idiotic, us with broadband LIKE having large pictures to gander at. The site loaded thru in about 20 seconds for me too. I can understand your pain at these situations but filling up posts about it, quite honestly isnt going to make one iota of difference.

soongsc said:

Mail me. Chinese is okay.;)

Really ? You want give me a hand? :eek:

But I don't have the driver yet!! :dead:

I am hard working in earning money.:devilr:

sincerely,I have found some driver look like dynaudio .

The Max Fidelity , how is this sound compared with AT or dynaudio's

car-used driver ??

Attachments

• mf170.jpg
    mf170.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 531
The kind thing to do on a web page is to have a lower resolution graphic hyperlinked to a higher resolution graphic so visitors have the option to view the high res pic.

As for tweeter selection, my preference is to go with higher Fs tweets in order to get the extension. Too many tweeters start to roll off or get ragged in the mid-teens which is not nearly as pleasant to me as one that is flat to 20k+. The three tweeters you listed are all very high quality but the Hiquphon may be the best bargain, IMHO.

Edit - Have you considered the SEAS Excel Millennium T25C-002?

hyl2369 said:

Really ? You want give me a hand? :eek:

But I don't have the driver yet!! :dead:

I am hard working in earning money.:devilr:

sincerely,I have found some driver look like dynaudio .

The Max Fidelity , how is this sound compared with AT or dynaudio's

car-used driver ??

Those Max-Fidelitys are designed by a guy named Frank here in Toronto. They are made in CHina or there abouts for the mass market manufacturer . He has always considered himself something of a speaker Guru although i have yet to come across anything that was in his store that he designed or any of his drivers that were impressive or didnt blow in a month or two.

You would be better served to buy a better driver guy. This is the opinion of someone who is also not a speaker design Guru. BUt i do have a perfect pitch :D women buy it all the time.

richardkrol said:
I'll rearrange my site soon as the number of pictures will increase. I'll work with thumbs and high-res linked images as you suggested. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

You don't need to do the thumbmail thing. You just need do a little work on the pics.

For example, your pic "boards_sanded.jpg" displayed on your page as 407 pixels wide had a file size of 277K. I saved the file, did a bit of cropping and resized it to 407 pixels. The pic is now the same width as you displayed it but the file size is now only 19K. Not only does it look better but the file size is 15 times smaller which translates into a 15 times faster download.

If you need any advise in this area I can offer it. I've authored over 30 web sites with an emphasis on fast load times so I know what I'm talking about here.

Attachments

• boards_sanded.jpg
    boards_sanded.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 396
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.