10 large tomatoes. 5 lbs or so.
12 large carrots 3.5 lbs.
6 stalks celery 1.5 lbs
One large English Cuke 1.5 lbs.
2 smaller apples. 0.75 lbs
2 Tbsp Coarse salt,
2 Tbsp Chipolte hot sauce.

All of these are guesses.
I ended up with something that needed a little more tomato so I topped it up with tomato juice, to make a total of 3.5 litres.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure Mark, the pulp seems about the same dryness from both types but the auger type is much coarser than the sawdust you get from a high speed unit.
I have now fully switched over to slow process as it was so darn successful. I can get rid of the high speed as they are a pain to clean. The auger unit is easy.
Yes, no problem making a litre in under 12 minutes. I would think 2 litres is likely. It does depend on the pulp control though.
On high pulp, it was more like saice and on the fine it was like regular carrot juice consistency.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member

Attachments

• whoosh.gif
    whoosh.gif
    35.6 KB · Views: 19
We make a fried chicken tender recipe which has a wonderful black-bean lemon sauce. Unfortunately the Kikoman Black Bean sauce is not as available (as it had been), but nonetheless:

2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp corn starch
2 cloves of garlic minced fine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp white sugar (or sweetener to taste)
1 tbsp or juice of half lemon
Fermented black bean sauce
Soya sauce (or Tamari) to taste

Sweat the garlic in the vegetable + sesame oil. Add the stock, pepper flakes, corn starch, lemon juice, sugar and soya sauce, stir thoroughly. Heat to bubbling at which time you have achieved max thickness. Add black bean sauce to your taste.

As XYL is gluten intolerant, I split the sauce and add the black bean sauce to half the batch and use the GF version of soya sauce.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Shrove Tuesday in UK and despite the Brits having given up the whole 40 days of eating locusts and wild honey the kids still insisted on pancakes. Staying with my parents so trepidation of pancakes in a pan I had never used before on a hob I don't get on well with but no disasters.

Failed on the main course for the under 10s. Spinach is only consumed in Palak Paneer as far as they are concerned and the spinach and ricotta stirred into the pasta was not well received. Tough as we will be making it again!

Was listening to a podcast last night that said that for our health carnivores should eat as many different animals as possible. I think this would mark Bob as the healthiest person here with Cal a close second...

Reactions: 1 users
I've never seen that brand...
You must be talking Ninja rather than T-Fal.
Ninja is the same company that makes Shark vacuums. Canadian company before they moved to the USA.
We also have their 6 blade blender.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ninja®-Professional-Blender-Auto-iQ®-black/dp/B08GKZSVMS/ref=asc_df_B08GKZSVMS/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459616812146&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18303040219707209912&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060807&hvtargid=pla-1018427855418&psc=1&mcid=e77dac9f2c0c3070b9bc2d0284f994a1

Edit: Apparently there's more to the Shark and Ninja brands than I knew. Too much to go into but as always, the Chinese have their hand in there.

Last edited:
Tonights dinner was broiled salmon with fresh lemon and dill, roasted crisp cauliflower and basmati rice. Pretty basic, but good.

I'm beginning to think I have alcohol induced ADHD when it comes to food, lol! While dinner was in the oven I decided to get a whole bunch of herbs in the dirt. Did I bring the kitchen timer with me? Nope. Did I bring another beer? Yep.

Roasted crisp cauliflower was an afterthought, or should I say a result of wandering attention and no timer, haha! It was, however, excellent. The slight bitterness of the burnt tips, combined with oil, SPG, Hd'P, makes a great accompaniment to the mellow flavors of the salmon. Dark soy sauce, butter and fresh cracked black pepper on the rice. Simply good food.

Got chives, cilantro, oregano, lemon thyme and sage planted. Parsley, thyme and rosemary are already established. Will add basil next month after last frost has passed. Will likely end up with 3-4x this amount. Here in CA, February is ideal to plant most herbs and growing season runs til December. No reason not to have fresh herbs!

20240213_192257.jpg
20240213_193634.jpg
20240213_193642.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
When I first started to actually cook, I did the same, used every spice, flavor, herb I could get my hands on. The longer the ingredient list, the better. Then, as I got further into it, realized that fresh salmon, a few fresh herbs, high quality ingredients made a bigger difference than quantity. Now, I buy my salmon directly from the same market selling to the grocer. I grow my herbs. I'll spend a little more on the quality ingredients.

Kinda the same thing with my breads. Its literally flour, water, salt. But, the care and quality of ingredients makes it so much better than store bought. I've also recently discovered that a revered local bakery does not do proper sourdough and uses commercial yeast plus flavoring agent. I tried to replicate their bread, but couldn't figure it out until a friend with celiac told me they couldn't eat the bread from there. Bingo. They use commercial yeast. (True sourdough starter does not complicate gluten intolerance, even when used to make a roux).

So to anyone trying a new or extremely simple recipe, buy the highest quality ingredients you can, or grow them yourself. Herbs are simple, easy to grow, inexpensive and the biggest factor in your meal besides the main ingredient like chicken, beef, potato, etm.

Yes Bob,
That's on another level. Quite the machine indeed..
Except for the speed, it looks like you could produce in bulk. The way you load the hopper and go on to other things looks to be very handy.
I am thinking of doing an experiment so you have a better idea of production.
I was going to get a five lbs. bag of carrots. Measure the juice, the time it took and the cost compared with commercial.
Not everything will be easily translated to where you live but it will give us both an idea.

That unit also cost more than 10 times what my new one did so I think I'll wait till this one no longer does it's thing. ;)

That one is $765 CAD.
Holy crap.