The food thread

Well, making birria while having a beer I realized I need to slow down! Currently drinking "Tank You Very Much" mega IPA by Dust Bowl brewery which is just 45 minutes down the road from me.

14.3% ABV will put you on another planet. I've had cheap wine at less %ABV.

20240210_151027.jpg
20240209_183725.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Just bought a masticating juicer. I bought one a few years ago but took it back the same day as it gave me tomato water rather than juice. It was also expensive as ****. This one is made by Ninja and does exactly what I want and cost a fraction of the price. This unit was just 75 bucks from the Big Box Outlet store. It has a filter system that allows you to determine the pulp level. Super cool unit. I put it on high pulp and what I got was tomato sauce. I had to mix it with water. Not kidding.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ninja-Compact...0&psc=1&mcid=9c4e257a0c7832b7b217a02ff466380e

Last edited:
Cal, I’ve been looking for a small juicer, how is the motor strength…..does it struggle at all?
We have the 10” version of that T-fal pan, our second one, first one lost it’s slippery after about 4 years (didn’t peel off just started to stick more and more) it‘s our dedicated egg frying pan and for the money they are unbeatable (well I did almost beat the wife when I saw her use a metal spatula one time!) ;)

Fast14, thats some good looking tacos……gonna try that technique for sure!

Attachments

• B282864D-D83B-4301-8391-E7C4D6BC746C.jpeg
    B282864D-D83B-4301-8391-E7C4D6BC746C.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 14
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've never seen that brand... at 14.5% though it sure makes the notion of a boilermaker irrelevant... huh?

BTW, do you know what "birria" means in Castilian?

In essence, it means "junk".

I wonder if it got its name because they started making it with throw away parts of the meat?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Cal, I’ve been looking for a small juicer, how is the motor strength…..does it struggle at all?
We have the 10” version of that T-fal pan, our second one, first one lost it’s slippery after about 4 years (didn’t peel off just started to stick more and more) it‘s our dedicated egg frying pan and for the money they are unbeatable (well I did almost beat the wife when I saw her use a metal spatula one time!) ;)

Fast14, thats some good looking tacos……gonna try that technique for sure!

We got rid of all our non stick pans. We did have one of them T-Fal pans.

Currently we have a set of 37 year old Magnalite aluminum pots/pans... and a bunch of cast iron Dodge pots and pans.

The 8" aluminum pan is great for frying eggs, the cast iron pans ( 10", 12 and 14") are awesome.

In my experience, the non stick stuff just won't last. We buy our pots and pans to last.

Tony, Dust Bowl brewery is somewhat local to me (30 minutes away) and has some great offerings. Might have distribution down there, too. This brew is reasonably priced as well, I think I paid $28/4 pack. Their imperial IPA brew known as Therapist and the New England, juicy, hazy, unfiltered style Confused Therapist, both right about 10.4% are great beers as well.

Pans. I have only 1 non stick pan, the 12" that I can't remember the brand of you see in the picture of making tacos. Otherwise I really like my vintage Magnalite GHC and Calphalon tri-ply stainless. Had to teach everyone how to properly preheat a stainless pan to make it non-stick, but I still end up having to scrub eggs off nearly every day. The cast iron is put away as well as my French copper omelette pans. Other issue with the kids is taking a hot pan off the stove and immediately putting it in the sink with cold water. I threw a fit first time I saw that! 🤬

Oh, and I make whats known as a Tijuana style birria, no vinegar and more liquid. Traditional is really just an adobo dish. Took leftovers and reheated them, put on top of eggs scrambled with jalapeño, onion and tomato. Bit of Oaxaca cheese on top of the eggs, then birria and queso fresco, fresh jalapeño and cilantro for garnish. Served with fresh tortillas.

Bob, I would call the Ninja, a medium, maybe even light duty. It says 12 minutes continuous use. That gave me more than enough time to do 6 celery stalks, 12 carrots, 1 long cucumber and 2 apples. It’s not fast like those high RPM units. You probably know what a masticater is but this requires patience, but the benefits are there. Along with the tomato from yesterday, I now have an excellent veggie cocktail.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ever tried google Tony? :p

I was doing Google since its very beginning.

My eBay account goes back to '97

I've had my personal email since '95 ( paid for and using an ISDN connection ).

Got my own domain name, web hosting and mail server in '97.

Cable modem since '98.

First person in my entire neighborhood of 10,000 people with an 802.11b access point.

House wired with 1600 feet of ethernet Cat 5e, in '99.

Three managed ethernet switches using Spanning Tree.

110TB of NAS and RAID5.

Intranet, Internet and mail servers.

Been on the Internet since it was DARPAnet.

Two of us designed our own company markup up language to connect to our Internetworking routers ( we were an internetworking company ) back in '93.

Used to work directly off the RFC... had to fix an IP stack once.

Now, do you want to ask that question again?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tony, Dust Bowl brewery is somewhat local to me (30 minutes away) and has some great offerings. Might have distribution down there, too. This brew is reasonably priced as well, I think I paid $28/4 pack. Their imperial IPA brew known as Therapist and the New England, juicy, hazy, unfiltered style Confused Therapist, both right about 10.4% are great beers as well.

Pans. I have only 1 non stick pan, the 12" that I can't remember the brand of you see in the picture of making tacos. Otherwise I really like my vintage Magnalite GHC and Calphalon tri-ply stainless. Had to teach everyone how to properly preheat a stainless pan to make it non-stick, but I still end up having to scrub eggs off nearly every day. The cast iron is put away as well as my French copper omelette pans. Other issue with the kids is taking a hot pan off the stove and immediately putting it in the sink with cold water. I threw a fit first time I saw that! 🤬

Yeah.... at least by the time we got into the iron cookware my kids were past teenage years and they know how to treat them well. So my daughter knows how to season them better than me.

I can't say I've ever tried an unfiltered, hazy IPA. Most of them I see are less than 7% and I think life is too short to drink anything under 8%.

Our omelette pans are Calphalon. Our generic pots and pans are Magnalite and are rather undestructible. We got all kinds of them. Got the whole set back in '87 when they went on sale at Robinson's-May.

Of course we got five, or six? porcelain coated iron dutch ovens.. all the way from a small three quart to a couple of LARGE -where you can put a turkey- pots.

Funny, my frying pot, is something like seven, eight, who knows? gallons It's made out of cheap metal, has a couple of dents and I bought on sale at Fedco, in '85, for five bucks. My wife hates it, but it's the best for frying and for working with canning jars.

Then, here's the punchline... my wok is a heavy duty affair.... I bought it in '79, since before I even knew my wife. ;-) We use that thing all the time.

BTW, from a pots and pans perspective, other than taking care of them, the best thing that happened to them was our redoing our kitchen and putting in a 6 burner Viking natural gas range top. those gas burners make all the difference in the World.

And, naturally, we got a paella pan.

Last edited:
Bob, I would call the Ninja, a medium, maybe even light duty. It says 12 minutes continuous use. That gave me more than enough time to do 6 celery stalks, 12 carrots, 1 long cucumber and 2 apples. It’s not fast like those high RPM units. You probably know what a masticater is but this requires patience, but the benefits are there. Along with the tomato from yesterday, I now have an excellent veggie cocktail.
Yah, thats what I was afraid of…..my tools have to have to have the capability of taking a finger or for some reason they just don’t satisfy! ;)
The reason I’m looking for one is because the wife really like V8 juice and the prices just keep skyrocketing to the point where we don’t even buy it anymore.
I’ve had my eye on this one and have been impressed by the Vevor stuff in the past, only thing is its hard to tell if it will have enough pulp to duplicate V8 juice, one reviewer says it doesn’t have much waste so maybe thats a good clue?

https://www.vevor.com/commercial-ju...mYfs5MVlxEs3au1cW-TIqraM4Yvty1F8aAjfAEALw_wcB

Okay Bob, that's a high speed unit. I have one of those and a rather expensive unit like the one you show.
I don't like the high speed ones as much because they introduce too much air into the finished product and it oxidizes too quickly.
Mine is auger driven and they are known to be slower but effective at extraction and low oxygen infusion.
This Ninja unit does a great job compared with this one, that I returned the same day I bought it because it was watery.
https://www.amazon.ca/OMEGA®-J8006HDC-Juicer-in-Chrome/dp/B0854QHRT8/ref=asc_df_B0854QHRT8/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=578821395288&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13138711809253460850&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060807&hvtargid=pla-1417764410315&psc=1&mcid=c22576b1d57c31e593c54a3b5c69f3e1
It runs at 80 RPM rather than the 2800 the one you showed.
You can't really do tomatoes in a fast unit. Tomatoes need an auger unit or even a food mill.
And, yes, I just made two jugs of V-5.