The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Fondues? It was a 70's thing. (Yeah, and before anyone chides me, I know it's supposed to be Gruyere ...)

Toasted Wonder Bread, cubed, dipped in melted Velveeta. With a bottle of Mateus.

Play some Abba in the background.

Awesome 70s party.

Make sure to bring out the shag rag and the vintage components...

I don't want to fade away
Give me one more day please
I don't want to fade away
In your heart I want to stay

Real fondue was and is, a very common thing. There are no forks, no cheese, no oil and no chocolate.
There are usually multiple broths into which you toss things that don't need a lot of cooking time.
Prawns, shabu shabu beef, noodles and a large assortment of vegetables are common.
We do this about once a month or so.
Usually the centre pot is spicy and the outer is milder. The countertop burner is needed to prevent the broth from cooling as that one pot is meant for four people. You fish out the food with chopsticks or wire spoon.

Attachments

• IMG_6177.jpg
    IMG_6177.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ That's an interesting pot. Vietnamese?

We got several pots, the shabu shabu one is a metal doughnut shape with a hollow center... think of a Bundt cake. The sukiyaki and yudofu "pots" are actually ceramic bowls.

The dipping sauces are served individually... lots of little dishes to clean up afterwards.

Yes... we got that counter top burner... man, inflation really hit the price. They've gone from 40 bucks to 80 lately! In three years.. I want to get one that connects to a larger propane tank for outdoor use...

Have you tried making Korean BBQ with that burner? We do it outdoors in the atrium table. There's a round grill for that. The Korean version is just a round grill, the Japanese version Is sort of two levels, with a bit of water held in the lower level. The Japanese version is better if you have tofu and veggies as the heat is not as harsh.

That's an interesting pot. Vietnamese?
Not sure, they come from the asian stores, and they all have them so...
Also, that pot failed. The centre and outside became leaky so they were mixing together. The one we have now is a simple divider down the center.
They've gone from 40 bucks to 80 lately! In three years..
That's too bad. They are really cheap here at $25 CAD. ($19 USD) Same with the gas. A four can pack is usually about $6.
the shabu shabu one
I may have misled you. I was only talking the shabu shabu style beef, as in a teriyaki cut. No dipping sauces. You make the broth to your liking and that is the only seasoning. It Is usually saltier or spicier than any soup.
Have you tried making Korean BBQ with that burner?
No but we do take it with us for picnics and camping.

Reactions: 1 user
Had a good morning at the various markets today. Salmon prices are up a little bit, about $8.25/lb, spent $40 on a whole side. Lots of leafy greens like chard, wombok, regular cabbage, choy sum, grunions (aka green onions), dill, garlic, cilantro, apples, oranges, mandarins, raw peanuts. Then headed to the bodega, got a few pounds of beef shank, chuck stew meat, ancho, guajillo, arbol chiles, Ceylon cinnamon, Oaxaca cheese, queso fresco, fresh tortillas. And many other things.

So today's plan, I'm going to start some birria for tacos. Make some kimchi to ferment this week. An apple pie, and of course more bread. Was up about 0330 this morning and fed my starter, it's just about ready to use. Not the reason I was up, but I was up.

Getting started on the birria, using ancho, guajillo and arbol chiles. Onion, tomato, Ceylon cinnamon, Mexican oregano, lemon thyme, cloves, garlic ground clove, bay leaf and will blend with beef stock.

Browning meat in batches, starting with the chuck stew meat, next in shank I have to trim.

Veggies and chiles get blended, then added over meat with some beef stock. Simmered for 3-4 hours. Remove cinnamon and bay leaf before blending.

20240210_120328.jpg
20240210_121519.jpg
20240210_122154.jpg