Taramps MD 3000 clip LED blinking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This Taramps came in with the ground power terminal heated up a desoldered from the board and the positive speaker terminal was also separating from the board as well. I repaired both terminals, easy enough.

I powered up the amp and it booted up fine, runs nice a stable at idle and rail voltage and op amp voltages look good. However, with the gain above 50 percent and connected to a speaker and as the volume input from the head unit feeding the amp via RCA jacks is turned up the clip LED will start flashing. If it turn the gain on the above 60 percent the amp will protect. Cycling power will reset the amp.

I was playing around with it with no speaker connected, gain 100 percent and the Clip and protection LED flash as I drive a stronger signal into the amp through the RCAs but it doesn’t actually go into protection. A weaker signal does not cause the clipping LED to flash.

The output transistors and surrounding diodes all check good, gate resistors all read good. The voltage of the speaker terminals is half rail and are less than 1/2 volt of each other.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 9DA85FD5-1A0D-4643-A274-6CB25A2CA069.jpg
    9DA85FD5-1A0D-4643-A274-6CB25A2CA069.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
I now have a diagram of a similar amp. While I was waiting on that I was driving the amp pretty hard into a 4 ohm dynamic load (amp is rated for 1 ohm) and I watched the duty cycle on the outputs expand and contract but as it was doing so I noticed that the rail voltage would sag about 5 volts as the duty cycle increased. My concern is that the rail voltage will sag even more with a 1 ohm load and that will limit very much how high you can increase the gain.

Is it normal for the rail voltage to sag that much? I could see the sag on my scope and I also measured it on the secondary side of the transformer before the rail caps and rectifiers.

The amp was being fed 12.6 volts.

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.