taking a dive into DIY Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all and first ill start by saying its good to be here.

Ok i recently started looking into the world of Hifi and im starting to get a bug for it, ontop of this im a build it my self man so im taking an intrest in building a DIY amp; On the whole i dont have much experience building or working with electrical devices on the level that building a DIY amp consists of so im guessing a kit is a no brainer, question is which?
Im looking to use the amp with my PC and that also functions as my main music device. Because of this im unsure weather ill need to fit the amp with a volume control or use the pc to do this function.
I like loud music so im thinking the amp needs to be quite powerfull? Im going to be using the amp to drive a pair of eltax monitor III loudspeakers, the specs are 150w music power, 100w sinus power, 4-8Ohm impedence and biwirable.

Like i say i have some soldering skills and i do pick things up very fast ive just never tried this before, i did see the 41hz amp10 kit has any one had any experience with this?
thanks for any help and advice you can give me!

From personal experience, I would add a volume knob to your amp. Sometimes (and I have had it happen) something in the computer will get screwy (from new software or games) and you'll find your volume all the way up on your computer.

I had a system, run w/o a volume control on it, install a new game and when it entered the game, it defaults the volume ALL the way up. The only way to lower it once in the game is to go through the blaring music of the intro, go into the games menu, and adjust the volume (all while I hear my speakers knocking against the magnets). This ended up blowing my tweeters and damaging the coil form for the mid ranges.

So even if you don't use it, it's nice to have a quick volume control you can reach to, to lower the volume as a safety.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.