Suggestions for 50W Mono Class D PCB which can drive 4-16 Ohm speakers

Hello,

I'm interested in a Mono Class D amplifier PCB or populated PCB which can drive 4-16 Ohms speakers to approx. 50W with reasonable THD. This is for an instrument amplifier, so THD up to 0.1% (max.) would be acceptable and a frequency range 60Hz-18kHz would be transparent enough for the application.

I see some very cheap PCBs on eBay/AliExpress and more expensive PCB from various other companies.

But this needs to be reliable, I want something that last and won't blow-up! Any suggestions?

Designing my own is an option and would be fun, but I'm much rather use something that is already well designed and tested; why re-invent the wheel.

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
50 W @ 4 Ohm means 14V (rms) output -> cheap TPA31xx is happy to do this with around 22 V supply
50 W @ 16 Ohm means 28 V (rms) output -> you need a chip that allows much higher supply voltage (TPA32xx)

also keep in mind that output filters are optimized for a specific impedance. so you may have to change the filter depending on the speaker impedance.

Thanks.

I’ve been looking at the data sheet. It’s quiet helpful and would be a fun project.

I just can’t help thinking someone else has done this before, and it’s out there!

Are there any PCB suppliers that are trusted and affordable. Maybe if I over spec. the amp is will have an easier time driving those loads.