Sudden high volume is dangerous for speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to graph the previous point.
Anyway, it was not the problem but the "surprise assault" :D , for a maximum of 3 seconds, the time it takes to react, hit the jump and reach the amplifier...

Your graph showing crossover distortion is not going to be the problem. The crossover notch (if present) is at very low power. The problem is the extreme high peaks of energy making it through your speaker crossover into the drivers.

The problems come when the Amplifier does this...

Attachments

• clipped-signal.jpg
    clipped-signal.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I found in a house where I was sojourning a pair of speakers that were completely mute. No, they were two and two, some big&cheap Jamo ( if I remember ) with a lateral 10 " woofer and MTM and a pair of bookshelf: those were to my surprise the most damaged. The aluminum woofer was deformed and you could see the attach of the former clearly: they must have suffered some abuse like all-night-party :boggled::eek:

Your graph showing crossover distortion is not going to be the problem. The crossover notch (if present) is at very low power. The problem is the extreme high peaks of energy making it through your speaker crossover into the drivers.

The problems come when the Amplifier does this...

Yes, that was the graphic I wanted to attach, but it was already late and I didn't notice much about it.
It is a different distortion from mine, it does not apply to the classic cut at the peak of the breast.

What is not clear to me is what is it? There are two transistors there .... it can't be a passive xover then ....:confused:

Last edited:
I found in a house where I was sojourning a pair of speakers that were completely mute. No, they were two and two, some big&cheap Jamo ( if I remember ) with a lateral 10 " woofer and MTM and a pair of bookshelf: those were to my surprise the most damaged. The aluminum woofer was deformed and you could see the attach of the former clearly: they must have suffered some abuse like all-night-party :boggled::eek:

in an electronic forum someone from the PA world said that their speakers had such a high temperature in the voice coil that it looked the same as a red coal but they were still working "well" .....:eek: It was the object of many smiling responses that post. If I find it I will attach it, it is really unusual.

Foros de Electronica

That's what I thought. :) So, it appears to not be an issue in itself (I didn't understand how it could be) just don't overdrive them in any way. ;)

The fault was the smartphone ...:mad:
I sit comfortably in the armchair, with all the remote controls around me and I really enjoy having such an extensive disco, but I must remember the issue of volume when I connect it ...:bigeyes:

in an electronic forum someone from the PA world said that their speakers had such a high temperature in the voice coil that it looked the same as a red coal but they were still working "well" .....:eek: It was the object of many smiling responses that post. If I find it I will attach it, it is really unusual.

Foros de Electronica

Post 312 onwards, registration is not necessary, only if you want to see photos.

Historia del Audio en Argentina | Pagina 16 | Foros de Electronica

I transcribe:

I refer to the tests. There are speakers who are 30 years old or older, they went through all kinds of baffles, they held water, blows, excess power (I have seen them with the red coil when the sound became more spicy) and still they are there, as if nothing.

It will not be much ? Anyway ......

Do I need to put a picture? I am not the first nor the last to see red coils in mt2 baffles for intense work. I am surprised that people with experience doubt something so common

Thank you for confirming how much I just said. Although I don't know how you saw the red coil.

How? simple: focusing on the speaker, again as I said before, I am surprised that someone with experience has not seen red coils, or giving off sparks when they are at the limit, or nailing and turning on the cone (heat plus cardboard = fire, there is argument against)

:D:mad::eek:

Yes, that was the graphic I wanted to attach, but it was already late and I didn't notice much about it.
It is a different distortion from mine, it does not apply to the classic cut at the peak of the breast.

What is not clear to me is what is it? There are two transistors there .... it can't be a passive xover then ....:confused:

I believe you are confusing the amplifier's output (in the graphs) with the "crossover filter" in your speakers that divides the signal along frequency for the woofer and tweeter. Two different things. The only time you won't have a crossover filter in your speakers is if you are using a single driver, full range speaker.

That burst of power you were worried about would be a clipped signal like I showed you... fed to your speakers.

Last edited:
And what would be the conclusion? :(

I represented (among other brands) many years ago Phase Linear and Electro Voice in my shop (PA Line) and when the PL was overexposed it generated direct current to the speakers.
They usually failed, both of them.
The boys in the nightclubs complained that I sold them "garbage" and demanded a free repair.

My conclusion was the speakers worked on full volume without any problems so long as you don't go too far over the rating.
Sold the lot 5 years later in fully working condition.

(I have seen them with the red coil when the sound became more spicy) and still they are there, as if nothing.[/B]

Do I need to put a picture? I am not the first nor the last to see red coils in mt2 baffles for intense work. I am surprised that people with experience doubt something so common

Thank you for confirming how much I just said. Although I don't know how you saw the red coil.

How? simple: focusing on the speaker, again as I said before, I am surprised that someone with experience has not seen red coils, or giving off sparks when they are at the limit, or nailing and turning on the cone (heat plus cardboard = fire, there is argument against)

Janston es un pelotudo. (no need to translate)

As Forum Members answered, red hot means >700C, preferrably 800C
Now remember kapton irreversibly twists and deforms at 400C ; Epozy cracks/toasts or burns from 180C upwards, maybe some version stands 350C although I very much doubt its mechanical integrity (adhesive crumbling into dust is not much of an "adhesive")

As to Academia´s worries: absolute worst case his amp will put out rail to rail squarewave ... not too different from "enthusiastic DJ duty":rolleyes:
A few seconds of that is "nothing".:)

I believe you are confusing the amplifier's output (in the graphs) with the "crossover filter" in your speakers that divides the signal along frequency for the woofer and tweeter. .

It is not the crossing of my speakers, I just took it from the web, I have said it before and I think I apologized .... I will be more careful next time....:(
Two TRs are too little for an active filter and there are no TRs in a "passive" filter .....
I think it is an explanatory graph of overlap distortion in a passive crossover network and how it could be solved with active elements, but I can no longer find where I got it from ......

Internet is very large, although I know there is a method to know where an image is hosted.
I knew it, it was an App or a Windows accessory. But I forgot .....

Last edited:
The fault was the smartphone ...:mad:
I sit comfortably in the armchair, with all the remote controls around me and I really enjoy having such an extensive disco, but I must remember the issue of volume when I connect it ...:bigeyes:

I don't recall the make and model... but some time ago I ran across a pre-amp with a switch on the back that, when turned on, caused the volume control to return to about 10% whenever it was turned on... Not a bad idea if you think about it.

I don't recall the make and model... but some time ago I ran across a pre-amp with a switch on the back that, when turned on, caused the volume control to return to about 10% whenever it was turned on... Not a bad idea if you think about it.

The idea is good, but the implementation can be complicated if you think about adapting that to an already manufactured amplifier. Another thing is to start from scratch .....;)

Okay ... So what's the worst that can happen?

This... YouTube

FWIW... I'm betting this guy's neighbours just love him... :eek:

There are people who do anything to upload videos to YT .....:mad:
36 drivers spoiled for fun ..... should the amplifier have broken down at some point, I imagine a very efficient protection circuit of the output stage, does the rapporteur mention any information about it or the power used?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.