Sub Drivers (BluePrint?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building a dorm theater sub for a friend. Was planning on using BluePrint drivers, but i cant seem to find blueprint anymore.'

Recommendations for how to contact blueprint? for other drivers?

Thinking maybe Shiva. Maybe dual Shiva's. How does Adire's Tempest and Maelstrom stack up? Any other subs i want to look into?

(originally going to be powered by a denon AVR-3802. will probably want more power and feed into a Samson s700.)

thanks
myren

Since "dorm subs" tend to need to be on the smaller side, the Tempest or Maelstrom are probably not what you want. The Tempest just starts getting interesting in ~7 cu ft ported, so figure out how big you want to go. Beware of some of the Blueprint drivers. The 1503, as an example, has a nasty hump in response ~ 70 Hz. Some EQing is mandatory. Take a look at the Dayton DVC 12". Similar specs than a Shiva and it works pretty well in smaller enclosures.

Pete

we're going to be making a roll out under bed coffee table out of the amps. and stocking everyone with three pound coffee cups with friction pads on them. :-] size is still a concern, but eight cubic feet is fairly reasonable.

i was under the impression that the blueprint drivers were fairly top notch. *sigh* the quest continues.

myren

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Myren said:
i was under the impression that the blueprint drivers were fairly top notch. *sigh* the quest continues.

How hi-end do you want to go? The Lambda's are world class bass drivers. Even their baby -- the Stryke SAE 1024 is an awesome driver (i just got a pr) and my pick of the very competitive range of mid-priced 12" sub drivers available. The pictures on the net don't do these justice.

dave

$250 is about what i'm looking to spend on drivers.

Whats the golden ratio for acoustics again? *sigh*

Max space is probably 10 feet, maybe 11. 8 would be nice. Depends on what returns are going to be.

Still to small for dual shivas, right? Doesnt matter, actually, unless dual shiva's would fit in 11 cubic feet.

Myren

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Myren said:
Still to small for dual shivas, right? Doesnt matter, actually, unless dual shiva's would fit in 11 cubic feet.

I have a single Shiva in 1.7 cu ft and have a box underway for a pr that is just over 4. Optimum is between 4 & 7 cu ft for the older ones i have. With lots of power & a Linkwitz Transform people are putting these in a cu ft box.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pete Mazz said:
A single Tempest has almost twice the output of dual Shivas, so unless you really want to go with two drivers, it's a draw.

But with a single driver you don't get the large benefits of being able to load the drivers in a push-push configuration.

I always prefer to use 2 drivers -- particularily in the bass -- because of these benefits.

dave

planet10 said:

But with a single driver you don't get the large benefits of being able to load the drivers in a push-push configuration.

I always prefer to use 2 drivers -- particularily in the bass -- because of these benefits.

dave

Agreed! And at reasonable levels, you'll get lower distortion as well.

But if bang for the buck is a consideration....

Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.