Strange subwoofer project (?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this forum and to the whole audio DIY stuff, I've been wanting to do something for a long time and just recently worked myself up to inquiring more about it, and this seemed like the right place... I'm really humbled by all the stuff I see on this forum, I seriously have no idea what I'm looking at half of the time lol :ashamed: :beady: So yeah, my newbie project I have no idea how to go about would be changing or replacing the subwoofer in a Logitech x-540, but I don't want to just replace the 5" subwoofer, I've already purchased a 10" subwoofer (yes, a cheap one...), and I'd like to keep the satellites from the x-540, but somehow remove the current subwoofer and use the 10" one instead... I'm aware that the x-540 is feeding 25watts to the 5" subwoofer, but the sub I have is 150RMS so I'm assuming I need a new amplifier capable of that (and by the way I have no idea where to purchse an amplifier, which brands to buy/avoid, or even what type to buy or anything, I'd really appreciate some suggestions :x please), but I'm confused on how I'd somehow keep the satellites from the x-540 and change the subwoofer like that, is this even possible? I'm aware that I'd need to make a new box for this new sub, but Im confused on how this would go down... :S :(

So basically I'd like to somehow keep the satellites, but install a new woofer, and if possible, be able to control it as usual with the remote that comes with the original system (I don't absolutely need this, I can do without it, but if it's possible it would be cool :D)

Sorry for the wall of text, I really hope a kind heart could help me with this, and if I left any important details out, (probably did, I'm bad at this) just ask xD

THANKSSS

Well, although the new sub can handle more power, that doesn't mean you must give it that much power. The first step, regardless of whether you change the amp or not, is to obtain the Thiele-Small parameters for the 10" sub. Then you can design an appropriate box.

If it's an unknown driver and there are no published T-S parameters, learning how to measure them will be a useful exercise.
Google

So yeah, I searched the web and found this little app, LinearTeam, i entered in the Vas, Qts and Fs and I got 33.14 for Vb and 22.11 Fb for a vented enclosure. So I have to build a box with 33.14 cubic feet of volume and tune the box to 22.11 Hz? Does this seem right? Also I have no idea how to tune a box to a certain frequency, or what it means :S :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.