Stax Type 1 headphone, anyone know what these are?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just guessing:

A "type" would correspond to some sort of classification, right?
"Classes" of Stax-es that I can think of are:
- Electret vs "externally biased"
- "Pro" bias level vs "Normal" bias level

But indeed neither of these distinctions seems to be usually called "Type 1/2/..."

What does that circuit look like?

_

Thanks for the reply,

Its from an old 2007 datasheet from TI.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snaa046/snaa046.pdf

The paragraph in question reads:

The design presented in Figure 6 will deliver nearly 200 Vp-p across the full audio bandwidth when interfaced to the popular Stax type 1 electrostatic headphones. A bias of 200 V DC is shown although the resistive divider can be altered to provide a bias voltage up to 400 V DC. Note that many of the Stax type 1 headphones have similar drive and bias requirements making this design suitable for these models as well.

I wonder what actual Stax headphones they are referring to? I would imagine its a waste of time emailing TI. :rolleyes:

he could perhaps be referring to the Stax SR-007Ω Mk1 ie Omega Mk1 vs the O2 ie Omega MkII. or the 1 isnt meant to be there at all and its simply intended to say 'the STAX type electrostatic headphones have similar drive and bias levels....' which would be false as well, methinks the person who wrote this did not have any clue about STAX personally, to be calling them 'popular'.

It could simply be referring to normal bias as type one, vs pro bias. as pro bias could not be driven with such low bias. normal bias is 200-230V, which fits well with the amp design.

the last option is the most likely

Hi,

older Stax models used a bias voltage in the 200-300V range. They later changed that to 580V. Think the Author referred to the early lower bias models as beeing of type1.

jauu
Calvin

ps I remember that the amp schematics had at least one failure. Think the amlifyin OP needed a different compensation or lowered gain to work properly, but am not sure about it. Just be careful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.