• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE EL34 vs. KT-88 Power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm confused about something and hope someone can offer an explanation.

Over and over again I hear/read about the KT-88's superior power output over that of the EL34.

However, in George's SSE simulations, the EL34 appears to consistently provide more output power than the KT-88, all else being equal (B+, Load Z, etc.). In fact, the EL34 at 450v B+ can match or outperform the KT-88 at 500v B+ in some cases (?)

See attached for the sorted, relevant data from George's simulations.

(Note: Yes, I do see that the KT-88 distortion figures are significantly better at comparable output power)

Attachments

• Tube_Power.png
    Tube_Power.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Those are simulations, the real world is far from ideal.

IIRC, those simulations are for triode mode only. Most folks run KT-88 in ultra linear (UL) or pentode. KT-88 can do in excess of 12 watts in UL. Not sure what EL-34 can do in UL.

The big difference between EL-34 and KT-88 is not the plate dissipation or the power output, but that one ( EL-34 ) is a true power pentode, and the other is a beam tetrode.

Some folks say they sound different.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.