spanish guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Léon The Pro said:
can anyone give me advise whats the best way to record a classical guitar in a computer?
I have an additional pickup but i guess its made for jumbo guitar and when i use it on my classic guitar i can hardly hear anything

What kind of pickup is it? There are several different kinds. Your theory about a "jumbo" guitar doesn't make sense, unless you mean that you had to place the pickup in an awkward location. If you have tried something like just plugging the pickup into your sound card, then the problem is that the signal is too weak and this would be the case with any pickup. You need a simple preamp to make the signal strong enough for your sound card.

Thanx for posts guys
I thought that my soundcard should work as an amplifier somehow.
i have this GM-100 guitar pickup made by monacor
I hope that when i get me the preamp it will work with the pickup
coz I dont really have a recording studio and im afraid that with a regular mic i would get more noise than actual classic guitar recording

Not sure what type of pickup your trying to use, but classical guitars have nylon strings and are not going to work with a regular pickup. Pickups generally work on the principal of a vibrating metal string over the pickup magnet.

Although it will be somewhat difficult to keep out backround noise, a high quality condenser mic pointed near the soundhole of the guitar is your best bet, as others have mentioned.

Léon The Pro said:
Thanx for posts guys
I thought that my soundcard should work as an amplifier somehow.
i have this GM-100 guitar pickup made by monacor
I hope that when i get me the preamp it will work with the pickup
coz I dont really have a recording studio and im afraid that with a regular mic i would get more noise than actual classic guitar recording
Classical Guitars usually have nylon strings - guitar pickups usually require metal strings.

Could you recommend me some mic or maybe this piezo pickup? Im pretty new in this field and i dont know much about recording equipment, something relly cheap but still worth buying coz considering that i have to buy a pro sound card and a preamp(any suggestions about this stuff are welcome too) my budget is already exceeded.
thnx

I was searching M-audio web page as its the only company which i know that manufactures professional recording equipment reasonably priced also available in my neighbourhood
I was thinking about this configuration:
mic:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Pulsar-main.html

preamp: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudioBuddy-main.html

sound card: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT-main.html

I dont have a lot of experience with pro recording so any responses are welcome also if anyone could suggest me how to deal with the computer noise to get the cleanest sound of my instrument
is it ok if im using a 21dBA cpu fan?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, I hate to give you my opinion because I really don't know that much. I have always liked this box though: (at least on paper- never heard it!)

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html

It is external, which is supposed to be better because the RF interference inside the computer case doesn't affect it,it has 2 mic preamps built in- probably the same circuits as the pre you mentioned, and the firewire interface and single compact box make it great for live recording with a laptop if that is ever a possibility (probably!)

I hope you get more feedback!

Mark

...I dont have a lot of experience with pro recording so any responses are welcome also if anyone could suggest me how to deal with the computer noise to get the cleanest sound of my instrument is it ok if im using a 21dBA cpu fan?

The short answer is probably not - conventional wisdom dictates that a very quiet room is required to get clean acoustic recordings.

If you can hear the CPU fan(s) in your headphones while you are trying to record your guitar then you will not have the cleanest sound.

Piezoelectric pickups work well in classical guitars, for live stage. However, they aren't true for sound in a recording environment. You will require a microphone. I have had fairly decent luck with a Samson condensor microphone into a tube preamp (dBx Minipre) and straight into the computer, although I have to set the gain high. My recording room isn't quiet, the computer makes too much noise, but my noise floor is surprisingly low. I've found placing the mic close to the guitar produces too much boom, even with the microphones low-cut filter on, so you need to space it out a bit (half a meter?). As such it picks up more ambient noise and more gain is required. Also the room affects the sound more. I will be putting up sound deadening material very soon and relocating my computer to the adjacent room, with a hole cut in the wall.

Pete

Micing a guitar

OK, if it is a Classic/Spanish, it ain't got no pickup. My son and I are union road techs and I am the guitar tech when it comes to classics and no-pickuped spanish. My son loaned me a mic that I thought was a real joke but it worked like a dream. I aimed a AudioTechnica shotgun from a video rig at the center of this guy's vocal mike stand and left it about 4 feet away the whole time. I thought that the performer would freak when the pickup-level of his guitar dropped when he backed away from the vocal mic but he didn't. In about a minute he was using his position to raise and lower his "suck" level. Thom Petty kind of thang.

Try a near field mike. They use them for conference calls. One mike in the middle of the table picks up all callers. Very realistic and natural sounding. Mount it to a 2 ft sq piece of plywood mounted upright and then place this about 3 feet from the guitar. Pipe it into a Presonus TubePre and you'll like what you hear. Don't breath too hard because these mikes pick up everything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.