• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sound quality of 6C4C is same with 2A3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to make a GM-70 se amplifier. I heard that this tube is powerfull and has good tones. As driver, i choosed 6C4C because it is cheap in Russia . What i want to know is, how is the sound of it. Is it same with 2A3 or not? What can you say if compare with 300B? Can you please, share your listening impression with me? I will be glad.
Thanks!

I couldn't come up with anything concerning a "6C4C", however, if you are referring to a 6C4 (See: Frank's Data Sheets) then a 6C4 is in no way comparable to a 2A3. The former is strictly a small signal device ( P(d)= 3.5W ) which looks to be one half of a 12AU7A in the seven pin miniature format. The 2A3 is definitely a power device ( P(d)= 15W ).

Given that the entire 12A*7 family was designed for consumer-type electronics in the early 1950s, and given that the transfer characteristic for the 6C4 looks quite non-linear, then I'd say that a 6C4 won't sound as good as a 2A3. It certainly will not provide the power capability of the 2A3.

6C4C how is the sonic performance???

Hi
Thanks for your replys. Electrically it seems equal to 6B4G. Sonic performance (listening impression) is not known well (at least by me). These tubes are cheap devices in Russia. If they are good sounding too, then i will use them.
Noyan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.