Sony XS-L1290P5 Subwoofer Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've visited a slew of websites, and from what I've gathered I think I need a sealed 1.3 cubic foot box for 1 Sony XS-L1920P5 12" 1500w peak/500w rms subwoofer.

Does anyone know if that is about the correct size? Is it okay to go bigger, and will that add more bass ?

Also, I was looking to buy the Sony XM-D1000P5 amplifier to match the sub, is this a good idea ? I've already recieved the sub as a Christmas gift, but haven't purchased the box(obviously) or amp yet.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance if anyone responds.

PS - I want this thing to slam.

SPECS FOR XS-L1290P5 12" SUBWOOFER:
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Aluminum
Surround Material Foamed rubber
Sealed Box Volume (cu ft) 1.3
Ported Box Volume (cu ft) N/A
Free-Air No
Dual Voice Coil No
Sensitivity 89dB
Frequency Response 18 - 2.5k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 125-500
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 1600
Top Mount Depth (inches) 6 3/4
Bottom Mount Depth (inches) N/A
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 11
Vas (liters) 25.1
Fs (Hz) 37
Qts 0.5
Xmax (millimeters) 6.3

SPECS FOR POSSIBLE XM-D1000P5 AMP:
RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels) 500 x 1
Frequency Response 20-300 Hz
THD at Rated RMS Power 0.2%
Signal to Noise Ratio N/A
Input Voltage 14.4v
Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels) 1000 x 1
Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels) 900 x 1
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2
Amplifier Class D
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 50-300 Hz
Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave) 12 dB
High-Pass Crossover Frequency N/A
High-Pass Slope (dB/octave) N/A
Bass Boost 0-10 dB
Bass Boost Frequency 40 Hz
Fan Cooled No
Fuse Rating 40 x 3
Speaker Level Inputs Yes
Preamp Outputs 1 pair

1.3 cubes sealed is what you should most liekly go with if that is what is reccomended by the manafacuter. You could also do a ported box, WIN isd says 1.7 cubes tuned to 29 Hz. I would look around and get specs for that before trying it however.

Making the box bigger will only decrease your power handling, so I would not reccomend doing that with as little excursion as the sub is capable of.

The amp looks like it is capable of powering the sub, if not overpowering it, but I dont see it as a problem when the sub is overrated and the amp is underrated.

what is WIN isd ? Is that a program to design subwoofer boxes ?

i've heard that while bandpass and ported boxes can add more bass, it can only be heard on certain frequencies. I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 360a2 amp, and 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" punches in a bandpass box now, and i can definately tell what others were talking about. certain songs will really slam, and others play with rather poor bass.

I'm also looking for tight bass in the new setup mentioned above, not loose and boomy like my bandpass system now, but i also want it to be loud.

Does anyone know where i can get a good price on a box ? Must be 3/4" MDF with gold terminals. I was thinking about spending some money at tweeter, but they are overpriced.

PS - To all you car audio guys out there, look into buying from http://www.etronics.com , they have the cheapest stuff around and offer a 30 day warranty.

yes, WIN isd is a speaker box design program.

A the problem your most likely seeing with your bandpass box is when a song doesnt slam, the song most likely contains very low freqencies under the tuning freq of the box, and ported and bandpass boxes have a 24/db octave roll off after the tune freq, so that could be the problem. They will be louder than a sealed box for the most part however. I can explain better, but dont want to get into a huge description, as you may have already caught my drift.. If not i'm willing to go on and on about it for you.:)

Also, is your bandpass box a Rockford box designed for your perticular subwoofers or is it a prefabricated one size fits all situatuion?

I'm pretty sure it's a pre-fabricated one size fits all deal. I recieved the box and the subwoofers for Christmas exactly 5 years ago. Everything was purchased from Best Buy, and i believe they still sell the same Dual 12" Bandpass box to this day.

I've decided to go with 1 12" subwoofer, because moving the dual box in and out of my tahoe is really getting to be a pain in the butt(that box is heavy with a couple of 12's in there).

What would you do with this sub? Ported or Sealed? Will WIN isd show me how to make the box, and tune it to 29hz?

Price isn't really the object, I'm really looking for a box that will do the sub justice.

Eric

prefabricated bandpass boxes will never be the proper size for pretty much any woofer, so that is why it sounds bad most likely.

I would port it myself, because I dont think it will have enough output for you sealed.

Winisd only tells you what the box size it reccomends is, a graph of the anechaic response, and several other graphs, and for the ported box, it will calculate port legnths and sizes for you.

See if you can find out how much port area the driver requires and I can get you port dimensions for the box, and box dimensions too if you want.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.