Some questions about the process of designing audio circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
THD 20kHz at rated output, right? :D

Honestly i do not know ... at different Hz ?
i would like to get something like this

FFT.jpg

... i would like to get something like this ...
That is doable. But the problem to what we listen is in the acoustic well before that target.

779716d1567766006-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-iii-w18nx001_2v-png

763974d1561044152-triodity-cancel-loudspeaker-distortion-h2-cancellation-png

How do you correlate when acoustic output distortion is 55dB (562x) higher than the amp output voltage distortion if you make no measurement? You want to ignore the Elephant in the room? Good Luck but be prepared for a Frustrating and Long adventure. :D

Last edited:
i would like to get something like this
Is that 1W or 100W? It will be better if you have two dimensional charts like in opamp specsheets. Detailed in H2, H3, 4R, 8R, etc.

I like studying opamps as part of studying amplifier design and the correlation of sound with numbers. Power amps are expensive, take time to build and measure. Opamps are cheap, specsheets are detailed with simplified schematic, quick to build, opinions of the sound can be found online (tho mostly based on non optimal circuit).

I saw two issues here. (1) You have to be specific with how far you do a simulation or measurement before you conclude that there is no correlation between them. (2) Then if you still suspect there is weak correlation then you must know that not everyone can perceive what you can perceive. Many things are measureable but people won't measure if they think it is not audible.

But the problem to what we listen is in the acoustic well before that target.
In modular design, we design modules in isolation, with understanding of how the modules relate/interact with each other. Problems in speakers are different with in electronics. Garbage In Garbage Out. Imagine the price of AMT tweeters. Imagine the price of your speaker compared to your amplifier. What do you say if your speaker gets garbage in its input.

That is doable. But the problem to what we listen is in the acoustic well before that target.... How do you correlate when acoustic output distortion is 55dB (562x) higher than the amp output voltage distortion if you make no measurement ?
You want to ignore the Elephant in the room?
Good Luck but be prepared for a Frustrating and Long adventure. :D

If i understand well your point is that speakers and their interaction with the listening room influence the overall sound so much more than the actual electronics used to drive them ?
This is a very important point that honestly i have always overlooked. Electronics have always captured my imagination much more than speakers ... i do not know why. And i feel like i am not alone ... :eek:
I remember at least one blind test quite confirming what you state. They swapped cheap sources and amplifiers for high end ones keeping the same speakers and speaker cables.
The test ended with a very similar sound for both configurations. Actually with a little preference for the cheaper set-up :rolleyes:

Matrix HiFi --> Blind testing high end full equipments

Last edited:
The test was probably good to sell amps, not show how to drive your speakers in the way you find most acceptable. :D

Glad you now pay a bit of attention. Speakers interact with the amp and almost everything in the listening room in producing the sound arriving at your ears.

Last edited:
Transducer/Room then a long way back the electronics.

If I wanted to blow a grand on commercial HIFI, at LEAST £800 of it would go on the speakers, a usable amp I could trivially find at a pawn shop or hack together out of junk, and the amp would still likely not be the weak link.

Regards, Dan.

Transducer/Room then a long way back the electronics.
If I wanted to blow a grand on commercial HIFI, at LEAST £800 of it would go on the speakers,
a usable amp I could trivially find at a pawn shop or hack together out of junk, and the amp would still likely not be the weak link.
Regards, Dan

Hi and thanks for your valuable advice. It makes me think a lot :eek:
But then why i hear so different sounds from different amps ? suggestion ? :rolleyes:

Because they sound different to you?

Well yes ... to an extreme ... if i take a solid state amp and a tube amp, ok this is extreme, same speakers the sound will be very very different.
I could even buy the idea that solid state amps can sound similar ... but not ss and tubes ... they sound very very different
With my perfect/ideal amp providing the best characteristics of tubes (midrange and soundstage) and the best of SS (bass response and low noise). ;)
I am thinking to go hybrid ... tube front end and solid state output :rolleyes:

Pass H2 circuit is an excellent starting point, then other options can be explored. Attached are LTspice prediction of distortion spectra of original Pass H2 and a 6SN7 preamp tweaked to produce very close THD at 1V output.

Attachments

• Spectra Pass H2 1V.gif
    Spectra Pass H2 1V.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Spectra 6SN7 1V.gif
    Spectra 6SN7 1V.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 102
Or build Nelson Pass's H2

Pass H2 circuit is an excellent starting point, then other options can be explored. Attached are LTspice prediction of distortion spectra of original Pass H2 and a 6SN7 preamp tweaked to produce very close THD at 1V output

what is this ... a guitar effect ? :rolleyes:
:D
is that we like a signal plus harmonics more than the clean signal ? :confused::eek:

what is this ... a guitar effect ? :rolleyes:...
Your current comment only show your ignorance. You can choose to stay in that cozy comfort zone.

If you choose to understand correlation of amplifier distortion to perceived sound, you can do the following. No need to listen, read the article, build and measure distortion of acoustic output, use a single driver, near field. Flip speaker polarity and repeat measurement. Then your comment can become more intelligent and less presumptuous.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.