Some questions about the LM1036

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm1036.pdf

1. I'm trying to achieve only volume control, no balance, tone, or loudness. I've tied Vz/2 (with a resistor divider) to all of the control inputs, but the datasheet does not say what value of treble capacitor and bass capacitor to achieve a flat response. Do I need to just tie theses to ground?

2. It does not say what value output cap is needed, does it matter as long as I achieve the corner frequency I want?

3. Does the output need to be buffered before going to the amp input?

if all you want is a volume control then you just need a dual pot, and maybe an opamp to act as a buffer after it. That's all.

I have dual pots, and I purposely wanted to avoid them because they are rare and there aren't a great variety of sizes, resistances, etc like there are single pots.

Back to my original question, what do I do about these capacitance values? It doesn't say anywhere in the datasheet that grounding these pins will produce a flat response.

No grounding.
Just leave the positions for frequency determining capacitors empty.
Should be fine.
(Think I actually did that once back far far in the past)

OK, when reading the datasheet a little I find You can do this:

For Cb you can use a 47uF cap (Will put the frequenzy for basscomp down to about 0Hz4)
For Ct You just leaves empty (In pracsis a treble-adjustment at infinite frequenzy)
Short pin 7 and 17. (Flat response to the Loudness)
For output capacitors 10uF.

Should give a flat response, at least over the audible frequenzy area.
And as you already have replaced the bass and treble pots with your resistornetwork, you should be fine.

Last edited:
Is it possible to control 2 or 3 LM1036 with only one pot, for 4 or channel tone control ?

As in attached picture.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 135
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.