Sneak peak into my latest project... pics ;)

So I finally got to the point I'm ready to veneer...

after over 300 man hrs working on this... 1.5 months... $4700... and blood sweat and tears...

there's something to show everyone


these speakers are "inspired" by the Avalon Sentinel... the front view is quite similar...

unfortunately the pics were taken at night... so it's hard to see EVERYTHING nice about these speakers

the bass cabinet is identical to the Sentinel... with the large triangles cut in the corners ... but a little more "low profile" than with the real sentinel

the bass cabinet has 2 curved walls.... which were built around a frame with 3 3/4" MDF supporting braces and the 1.5" top and bottom

the top and bottom are supported by 1.5" dowels in the rear... this gives quite a bit of added strength...

the curved walls were made up of 4 layers... first layer was .25" birch .... which was curved around the shape... then 9 layers of fiberglass mat and resin were applied to each curve.... making it 1/2" OF SOLID GLASS. at this point it's strong enough.... way more than strong enough... my 250lb friend jumped up and down on this and zero flexing occured... however over top the fiberglass one layer of 5/8" birch ply was layed... then another layer of 5/8" pine ply

the backs are 1.5" MDF...

the baffles are 1.5" MDF... routed out to flush mount the 15's...
they were then reinforced on the inside with 4 layers of fiberglass... this is so ridiculous and unneeded... but I was paranoid ;)

the whole bass cabinet is ported to 32 hz... and is roughly 10 cubes

the cabinet weighs in at 250+ lbs without the speakers

the front of this will have 1/8" rubber on it just like the sentinel

the pics are again hard to see... but there is a "gap" between the top and bottom parts just like the Sentinel... which will be rubber also

the tops are angled on... well every side :p

the midranges are flush mounted into a piece of 5/8" with 60 degree edges to cut down on defraction off the baffle

they are in an irregular triangle box that's internally chambered specifically for the optimal performance of them

the tweeter opening fits the oak flanges I made for the LCY copy ribbons I made...

they're getting veneered tomorrow... with 2 4x8 sheets of precision matched walnut burl

then I whip out the HVLP and put on 10 coats of lacquer ;)
 

Attachments

  • pics no veneer 001_450x600.jpg
    pics no veneer 001_450x600.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,031
ShinOBIWAN said:
They look alright noob. Its tough to make attractive large cabinets.

What's with all the filler though? Surely you didn't need that much :)

The choice to go with veneer is a good one though, you'll save yourself a hell of a lot finishing time there.

I think they're beautiful... hopefully I'll take some HQ pics after today
I did have some problems trying to design a 10+ cube bottom with curved sides and to integrate that into the top.... namely the large triangles cut out of the bass gave it some "geometrical" look and blends rather well

the filler was to make it smooth... granted I went a little over board wanting it perfect ;)

most of that is dust actually... but yea... could have done a little less... but the surface is actually so smooth it's paintable... at least on the top cabinet
 
300hrs?
$4700?

I wish I had that patience and the build skills. I'm gradually getting better, but woodwork takes such a long time for me.

They look great, but I agree they arent going to be dead enough ;) , your gonna have too many vibrations. 1.5" mdf, thats not enough, I think your gonna need thicker wood ;)

Just wondering, how do you move them?

Can we see some more pictures of the outside of the bass cabinet?

Thanks,

Josh
 
ShinOBIWAN said:
They look alright noob. Its tough to make attractive large cabinets.

What's with all the filler though? Surely you didn't need that much :)

The choice to go with veneer is a good one though, you'll save yourself a hell of a lot finishing time there.

Noobs loudspeaker without veneer is akin to taking the paint off
a custom show car and saying 'It's tough to make an attractive
car with all the bondo used on the body". People just don't
say that because they know the car will be painted and
the results spectacular.

:devilr:
 
edjosh23 said:
300hrs?
$4700?

I wish I had that patience and the build skills. I'm gradually getting better, but woodwork takes such a long time for me.

They look great, but I agree they arent going to be dead enough ;) , your gonna have too many vibrations. 1.5" mdf, thats not enough, I think your gonna need thicker wood ;)

Just wondering, how do you move them?

Can we see some more pictures of the outside of the bass cabinet?

Thanks,

Josh


only the top bottom and back are 1.5" mdf ;)... the sides and baffle are fiberglass reinforced... and the front is 1.5" MDF with a 1/4" of glass :p

the top is removable from the base .... so moving is simplier thus... and the speakers will be removable so that if need be... we can eliminate 75 lbs that way

the top is light and easy for a person to carry

as far a more pics... give me some time... by 10pm tonight I'm sure you'll have more than you can stand ;)
 

ShinOBIWAN

diyAudio Member
2004-02-25 9:13 pm
UK
Audiophilenoob said:
I think they're beautiful... hopefully I'll take some HQ pics after today
I did have some problems trying to design a 10+ cube bottom with curved sides and to integrate that into the top.... namely the large triangles cut out of the bass gave it some "geometrical" look and blends rather well


I agree, when they're finished I bet they do look nice.

Its hardly worth commenting on an unfinished or raw cabinet because all they do is give an idea of form. This is the reason I kept my comment above brief.

All that hard work only shows in the last stages of finishing.

the filler was to make it smooth... granted I went a little over board wanting it perfect ;)

You'll have a very smooth surface their though with the filler, actually smoother than the MDF. I always get paranoid about using too much though, or worst, sanding too much since the mirror finish isn't perfectly flat. Since your veneering though you don't have to be quite so paranoid about such things.
 
ShinOBIWAN said:


I agree, when they're finished I bet they do look nice.

Its hardly worth commenting on an unfinished or raw cabinet because all they do is give an idea of form. This is the reason I kept my comment above brief.

All that hard work only shows in the last stages of finishing.



You'll have a very smooth surface their though with the filler, actually smoother than the MDF. I always get paranoid about using too much though, or worst, sanding too much since the mirror finish isn't perfectly flat. Since your veneering though you don't have to be quite so paranoid about such things.


oh yea I hear ya... the raw cabinet was just a teaser for the pics that will come in the next 2 days as I finish veneering and of course lacquer this
 

ShinOBIWAN

diyAudio Member
2004-02-25 9:13 pm
UK
thylantyr said:


Noobs loudspeaker without veneer is akin to taking the paint off
a custom show car and saying 'It's tough to make an attractive
car with all the bondo used on the body". People just don't
say that because they know the car will be painted and
the results spectacular.

:devilr:

Hi Uncle Thy,

What does that have to do with anything?

I never passed any final judgement and what I said was positive. I used my imagination to envisage the finished speaker and told noob that he'd done a good job to turn a large cabinet into something that looks good.