Slide/push switches and DeoxIT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when I've cleaned switches I like to use a pretty liberal amount of aerosol deox (brand/type of choice) with some modification of a vacuum cleaner nozzle tucked behind the switch as I spray in order to remove what's getting flushed out. The flushings from switches are going to be particle laden and conductive. Exactly why you don't want them inside in the first place, and also why you don't want them near anything else on your circuit.

Seems like pure silicone would be the best replacement for lubricity. It'll be interesting to see what others here say. I found that many available "100percent" silicone aerosols have pretty harsh ingredients, including acetone! Oddly enough the labels say safe for all plastics. I use a USDA food-grade brand without any of these.

when I've cleaned switches I like to use a pretty liberal amount of aerosol deox (brand/type of choice) with some modification of a vacuum cleaner nozzle tucked behind the switch as I spray in order to remove what's getting flushed out.

Don't do this with flammable cleaners - if the vapour gets near the motor brushgear... :redhot: :bigeyes:

bluebeard said:
... I found that many available "100percent" silicone aerosols have pretty harsh ingredients, including acetone! ...

I don't know what you mean by "harsh" but acetone is actually pretty benign stuff. It is a great solvent for some applications, produced by bacteria, just like ethanol, or synthesized from isopropyl alcohol. If water won't dissolve a particular "target", try acetone. Water works for negatively charged ions, acetone for positively charged ions.

I_F

Hi all,
thanks!

It turns out I bought FaderLube as well. What should be the cleaning method then?

*The D5 dissolves lots of particles, but they all dry out after a few minutes. Should I then use alcohol and/or acetone to remove most of the flushed residue?
*Following the cleanup, do I reapply D5 in case the cleaning products caused oxydation on the contacts? (When using isopropyl alcohol, for example -> contains water)
*Then should I apply ProGold or FaderLube depending on the contacts, or both? Reasons :
  • When I cleaned the contacts in my amp, the source selector only started working after I applied ProGold, D5 didn't improve things much. If I only use FaderLube, will it work well?
  • FaderLube is made for conductive plastics, does it mean it's conductive or only that it contains lubrificant?

When we clean faders or pots, we use d5 for regular cleaning and d100 for heavily oxidized parts. Then clean the excess and use MCL (faderlube). Progold should only be used on gold surfaces because it contains water. Not a problem for gold, but bad for other metals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.