Simply 3x gain preamp for OPA549

For the subwoofer channel on my 5.1 surround amp, I'm planning on using a single OPA549 (the other 5 channels are LM1875) as it will provide around 70-75w rms for my subwoofer.

However, upon searching the forum, people say that a gain of around 10 is the maximum you should use with the OPA549. But having said that, I'm only going to be using this chip for frequencies lower than 200Hz, so would using a gain of around 20-odd affect this region?

If it will, does anyone have a schematic for a simple circuit that will increase the gain from between 2x and 3x to use before the input to the OPA549? I've done searches of the forum, but they all seem much more complicated than I actually need (OPA627 buffers etc etc).

Thanks.
 

jaudio

Member
2004-10-29 1:31 am
mangrovejack said:
For the subwoofer channel on my 5.1 surround amp, I'm planning on using a single OPA549 (the other 5 channels are LM1875) as it will provide around 70-75w rms for my subwoofer.


I dont think you will get that much power.


mangrovejack said:

However, upon searching the forum, people say that a gain of around 10 is the maximum you should use with the OPA549. But having said that, I'm only going to be using this chip for frequencies lower than 200Hz, so would using a gain of around 20-odd affect this region?


It should work with no problems


mangrovejack said:


If it will, does anyone have a schematic for a simple circuit that will increase the gain from between 2x and 3x to use before the input to the OPA549? I've done searches of the forum, but they all seem much more complicated than I actually need (OPA627 buffers etc etc).

Thanks.


Try this
 

Attachments

  • audio buffer sch2.jpg
    audio buffer sch2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 711
Max gain of OPA549

Hi: In response to the previous concerns regarding the max gain of OPA549 chip amplifier,after reading the TI datasheet i do not see any problems with using the chip with a voltage gain of 20+.TI does not mention any possible instability problems at higher gains.If someone has info to the contrary,please post a link to that information. Thank You Robert Cottiers
 

PKS

Member
2005-05-02 5:52 pm
Dyri
Re: Max gain of OPA549

RCBandwidth said:
Hi: In response to the previous concerns regarding the max gain of OPA549 chip amplifier,after reading the TI datasheet i do not see any problems with using the chip with a voltage gain of 20+.TI does not mention any possible instability problems at higher gains.If someone has info to the contrary,please post a link to that information. Thank You Robert Cottiers


It's not a problem... But it sounds like ****... Max 10!
Make an amp, and test it out...:cool:
 
Re: Re: Simply 3x gain preamp for OPA549

jaudio said:



I dont think you will get that much power.



From the other threads discussing the OPA549, I was under the impression that was what I could get (I guess as a maximum rather than an average figure)?

I'll be using a 18-0-18 transformer and will be using a 4 ohm subwoofer, so what do you think the realistic power output would be? Either way, I think it will be enough for my fairly modest system.
 

TonyTecson

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
2003-05-29 2:57 am
Maybunga, Pasig City
opa549 can be supplied with max of +/-30 volts, whereas the opa541, +/-40 is allowed. these chips have a fixed bandwith, so that increasing the gain decreases the high frequency corner. but if you are using for subwoofer, then i see no problem with decreased bandwith, as you will not be needing it any way. i say go ahead and do it.