• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Selecting an IT impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
What parameters do I look for when selecting an Interstage Transformer ? Mainly; I am unclear on how to select the secondary...Wouldn't you normally want the lowest impedance possible to the grid of your tube ?
The Primary impedance I understand completely...

Thanks !
Steve

Hi, i think this impedance ratings for the secondary are only missleading for the purpose of using the IT to drive a tube.

Don't care about this, you need to know what is the anode impedance of the driver tube and see if the primary inductance is sufficient.
Unless you are driving A2 grids, i see no reason for stepdown IT, so turns ratio should be 1:1.

The driving impedance is the driver's impedance + the dc resistances of the windings.

If your driver of choice is e.g. an 6SN7, you can forget linear response down to 20Hz. Needed primary inductance is too high. Maintaining this would compromise linearity in the higher frequencies

Greetings
Konstantinos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.