Seas W18EX Active Lowpass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for suggestions for an active crossover lowpass for the Seas W18EX - something that does a very effective job of killing upper resonance when crossover frequency is approx 1800Hz. A basic 4th order isn't doing it well (no surprise).

I thought I'd post this as someone has likely done this before with notch filters or higher order filters? What sounded best?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul W said:
Paul,
If you are using something like a DCX2496, try using one of the variable-Q bandpass filters as a notch filter. That works well for me...though with a 600Hz LR4. 1800 may be a stretch for the Excels.
Paul

No, I should have mentioned - this is a diy analog filter. 1800Hz may be a slight stretch, and I'll likely try lower, but I've got a dome tweeter to crossover/protect also.

Paul

I would recommend the RS28 wich easily can go down that low. I'm designing an MTM with them right now as a matter of fact. The RS28 is basically a bettered SS 9800 aludome and is not supposed to have any of the zing found in older alu-domes.

Here's a link to the RS28: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=275-130

Here you can find loads of info about it: http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=6

Here's a subjective comparison between
the RS28 and the Neo 3: http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=234053

Other possibilities is oc Seas Milennium (at a higher cost), the Seas 27TDFC, SS 95- 97- 9900.

Jonas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

"4th order (electrical)"

Paul,
For best results with the active analog xo, I think catapult's suggestion to dive into SL's bag of tricks for EQ, delay, etc. is a good idea.

I tried a commercial textbook LR4 electrical -once- and, because of driver response, ended up with passive traps, all-pass filters, etc. hung on as band-aids.

Though not necessarily a good permanent solution, you might try a passive parallel LCR trap in series with the 18EX...just to get a flavor.
Regards,
Paul

Paul W said:
"4th order (electrical)"

Paul,
For best results with the active analog xo, I think catapult's suggestion to dive into SL's bag of tricks for EQ, delay, etc. is a good idea.

I tried a commercial textbook LR4 electrical -once- and, because of driver response, ended up with passive traps, all-pass filters, etc. hung on as band-aids.

Though not necessarily a good permanent solution, you might try a passive parallel LCR trap in series with the 18EX...just to get a flavor.
Regards,
Paul

I'm using LSPCad to model response,, and using SL's circuit topology and formulas to get initial values - no textbook xovers here :)

Thanks for the suggestions - I've put in a notch filter around the primary resonance and it's certainly an improvement. I'll try lowering the crossover frequency next.

Any other suggestions and comments appreciated,

Paul

The 'electrical' was as opposed to 'net acoustic slope'.

I briefly hooked up an LR8, but got some muddiness and ringing (I'm being very critical and picky - it wasn't terrible).

While I built a passive cauer and could design one, I'm not sure how to do an active cauer - got a schematic/layout?

Paul

Hi Paul W,
I'm veeery interested in you cauer-elliptic filter for the 9900. Wich mid did you cross it too? I have a 3-way dipole topsystem (yet without a crossover). I would like to try a passive crossover (between mid and tweet) before I try active. With your crossover I might not even need to try an active... ;) That is, if you're willing to share it with me oc. :D

If you are, please mail me the details to jonaslfc@spray.se

Regards

Jonas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I believe PaulW said he hadn't used one.

I used one with an XT25 tweeter, courtesy of a Jon Marsh design, and was extremely pleased with the results. Much info on cauer elliptic filters may be found on htguide - just search for 'cauer'.

I have not seen a published cauer filter specifically for the 9900.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.