search 15 inch Pro subwoofer ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello GuYs !

I search to built a very efficient and soundQ subwoofer. (exemple : Altec A7 or ONKEN)
Do you know low budget quality 15 inch PRO subwoofer.

I search for :
* 15 inch PRO
* more than 97 dB 1w/m
* low frequency response 16hz or 20hz (without 10 or 20 dB drop !)
* for Bass reflex box
* not vintage woofer (new only)
* low price

Thanks in advance ;) !

nicK

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Probably doesn't exist at any price....... For sure the Altecs can't meet these specs. FWIW, the closest that comes to mind at the moment is the JBL 2245H at 95.22 dB/W/m and down only ~3 dB/20 Hz half space in 18 ft^3/20 Hz based on published specs, but it won't be cheap, at least by my standards.

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
nickthevoice said:
Hello GuYs !

I search to built a very efficient and soundQ subwoofer. (exemple : Altec A7 or ONKEN)
Do you know low budget quality 15 inch PRO subwoofer.

I search for :
* 15 inch PRO
* more than 97 dB 1w/m
* low frequency response 16hz or 20hz (without 10 or 20 dB drop !)
* for Bass reflex box
* not vintage woofer (new only)
* low price

Thanks in advance ;) !

nicK

I can't speak for quality, but this Fane comes close to your requirements (though you'll be truly hard pressed to find one with an Fs that low, as mentioned here by GM and Cal).

Good for sealed or BR. Price is right.

Attachments

• a1.gif
    a1.gif
    76.1 KB · Views: 591
There isn't a heck of a lot of program material between 16 and 40 Hz, really. So, if you relax that requirement, you could consider something like the Eminence Omega Pro 18". They're about 97 dB efficient, and will get to around 40 Hz. With a 4" voice coil, it'll handle quite a bit of power.

Take a look at the Eminence 15" woofers too.

Pro subwoofer

the FS is very high at 43 hz for many pro audio brands.

it's not complicated :

I search on ebay and I view many cheap PRO brands with the great specs but 40 hz is not very low for subwoofer use ?

In home audio or car audio the FS it's possible to have LOW FS (30 or 20hz FS)

with 20-2000hz freq range but I don't want this because DB is very low 83dB à 88dB :dead:

I need high DB to put low power 150w RMS and have big result ;)

thanks !

nicK

I don't think it would be that much for shipping, around 10lbs per pair I think? You'll also have duty to pay, maybe $25 extra? You could contact Madisound and see what you would be looking at ..

I'm going to use these drivers in a sq installation eventually, if I can't go IB when I move to my new place soon... Anyhow good luck.. Dave :)

Cal Weldon said:
nicK,

You have asked for a woofer with a low Fs
You have asked for high dB
You have asked for low price

Ain't gonna happen my friend. You will have to adjust your requirements.
I agree. Pro drivers are my faves, and I have probably ALL the current data I can get from every brand I can find, and I know of nothing with these specs.

Nick, the cheap pro drivers on ebay are of variable quality, so may not really perform ll that well. There may be some gems, but who knows.

In Pro audio/PA use, 40Hz IS a sub. It's only in some areas of domestic hifi and HT that 20Hz is required (some studio applications too). To get response that low, and in an acceptable size box, efficiency is usually the price. If size were not an issue, a driver could likely be made to do it, but these applications are so rare, there aren't any new drivers with suitable specs. It's a neat little wall you've run into called Hoffman's Iron Law, which simply states you can have two of these: deep, small or efficient.

Also, there are lots of details to the driver design apart from the simple T/S parameters that will determine whether it'll make a good sub or not , rather than merely an LF noisemaker.

If you can go large, with a small footprint, ie slim and tall, look at the tapped horn thread. With the 3015LF, you can get 20Hz, high efficiency, but it's 500L or so and narrow bandwidth.

DaveCan said:
Not exact for what your asking but lower fs than most.....

Ooh..... if these specs are as accurate as JBL's, then at a calc'd 96.81 dB/W/m and only -3 dB/20 Hz/half space in ~17.69 ft^3 it's quite the bargain at < 1/6th the 2245's price. No 'free lunch' though, the JBL has a much lower Le and 4x the power handling, ergo higher SQ and dynamic headroom. Still, for a HIFI/HT app, it should be more than adequate for all but the most hard-core bass connoisseurs, though two in parallel wired isobaric seems the best compromise overall if space is an issue and still > 2/3 cheaper.

GM

Since you are looking for bass, and a large cheap speaker to do so, check this out:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-475

It's not a PRO woofer, but pretty darn close, you get 94db sensitivity and plays 22hz. Should be MUCH better than that 8 you got now.

When I get my own place, I'm going with one of those 18" with a large sealed box, because I'm tired of blowing up 12's, because I like it low AND loud! Most DEEP BASSY 12's are only 87db or so, but play great lows. A 94db 18 should be much louder, and may sound lower due to its size..

Most car 12's sound good, but you need more than 1 to really handle 300W or more. A lot of 15's don't spec that much better either, so I'm thinking 18" is the way to get low and loud. That sounds like what you want, LOW AND LOUD!

I KNOW I DON'T NEED 20hz to have bass feeling but I want cover all the audible frequency range ! ;)

Why use efficient woofer ?

My answer :
you buy 99 dB PRO woofer with 150w RMS sub amp.

to have the same POWER result with 85 dB woofer you need to buy 700 watt RMS sub amp (humm $$$$$$$$)

This is why I like EFFICIENT audio component. (and for DYNAMIC TOO)

nick

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
nickthevoice said:

My answer :
you buy 99 dB PRO woofer with 150w RMS sub amp.

nick

99db pro drivers are always midbass/midrange drivers with highish Fs

Pro woofers with low Fs(mostly 30hz) will be at least 18" and more like 95db

Usher 15" Studio woofers might do it;) there have even been 4 on sale in here...cant remember who

There is also a cheap Dayton 18" at 94db/22hz/0.44 qts(closed)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.