• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE 6K6 guitar amplifier schematic wanted.

Does anyone have a schematic for a simple single ended guitar amplifier using a 6K6 output tube? I have a PT, and a 9.2K OPT that should work well. I recently built a 5F1 head amp using leftover parts and iron I had on hand and noticed I had iron that would suit the 6K6's I found in my tube stash.
Thanks
Paul

^^^^^^ THAT
Build another Champ or an AX 84 (many tasty flavours available) or any 5W single ended tube amplifier, only substituting power tube and OT by what you have.

Get biasing (suggested cathode resistor) from proper datasheet.

Amp will be 90% of what each project offers, only with a small and unimportant RMS power difference.

Reactions: 1 users
the 6K6 should work in most 6V6 applications if you adjust the cathode resistor and make sure you don't exceed the g2 voltage. Valve Wizard and the datasheets should be all you need. https://www.valvewizard.co.uk/se.html
Thanks. I do have schematics for amps like the 5C1 and 5F1, etc. I guess I can just use one of them then and just change a few resistors.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^^^^ THAT
Build another Champ or an AX 84 (many tasty flavours available) or any 5W single ended tube amplifier, only substituting power tube and OT by what you have.

Get biasing (suggested cathode resistor) from proper datasheet.

Amp will be 90% of what each project offers, only with a small and unimportant RMS power difference.
That sounds reasonable. I've just been digging around in my junk piles lately trying to find uses for parts and iron I've had laying around for years. The power transformer should get me close to around 300v to 315v of B+

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
a simple single ended guitar amplifier using a 6K6 output tube?
Isn't that a 6G15 with a bunch of back-end left off?
Fender-6G15-noreverb.gif

https://robrobinette.com/How_Spring_Reverb_Works.htm
Diddle 'voltage divider' for appropriate sensitivity. 12AT7 is fine except not in stock at Barney's Music And Bait on holiday weekend; use 12AX7 like everybody does.

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't that a 6G15 with a bunch of back-end left off?
View attachment 1064546
https://robrobinette.com/How_Spring_Reverb_Works.htm
Diddle 'voltage divider' for appropriate sensitivity. 12AT7 is fine except not in stock at Barney's Music And Bait on holiday weekend; use 12AX7 like everybody does.
This is what I'm playing with. Since it's going to power a speaker, and not a reverb tank, I'll drop the 6K6 cathode resistor from 1000 ohms to around 480 ohms. I also have a 7.9K OPT to use. The values of the coupling caps will need to have a higher value.
I'm just not sure what values to start with.

Ok, I used the schematic that PRR posted above. It's half of the Fender 6G15 reverb unit and with a few tweaks works. I used .022uf coupling caps, a 470 ohm cathode resistor ot the 6K6 and the 7.3K OPT I had on hand. A 12AX7 was too much gain and the amp broke up too early. The 12AY7 sounded good, but wasn't enough gain to get any crunch out of it. That may be just fine for some.
The 12AT7 the schematic originally calls for probably the best for most.
In the end, not bad for a little amp built from left over bits I had laying around.

Attachments

• 20220727_095417.jpg
    20220727_095417.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220723_131720.jpg
    20220723_131720.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220727_095449.jpg
    20220727_095449.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: 2 users
Here’s my little Fender clone just finished.
My last wrong forum post I promise. 😁 View attachment 1077190
Nice. I've built several small SE tube guitar amps. They're fun to build.
This last one was just to see what I could come up with not spending any money, just using whatever I had laying around. Next I want to build a Matchless Spitfire PP 6BQ5 combo.