scan-speak quality control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i just noticed that one of my s-s d2604/833000 modulates with the midwoofer excursion which it share enclosure cavity with! i tried to tighten the screws that hold the faceplate to the top plate but with no luck! and a d2604/830000 which i bought recently had severe rub n buzz issue seen as a very ragged impedance response :(

I had a lot of rub and buzz issues with the Vifa DX series that these are based on. The plastic faceplate is badly designed and warps. Over tightening the screws can make things worse. If i remember correctly I had some success with making my own foam gaskets, and tightening each screw just the right amount for it to seal and not buzz... then immediately selling them

Last edited:
I would run some sealant/adhesive around the perimeter, or check the xover. If it still moves while unconnected with the woofer moving, then the sealant is the method of attack if a replacement is not under warranty.

Later,
Wolf

no the xo is fine, i noticed this tweeter dome modulation when i pushed the midwoofer cone inwards then the tweeter dome moved outwards, so there seems to be a huge leakage in the tweeter construction, though i can not see any. sealant i will try. thanks

I had a lot of rub and buzz issues with the Vifa DX series that these are based on. The plastic faceplate is badly designed and warps. Over tightening the screws can make things worse. If i remember correctly I had some success with making my own foam gaskets, and tightening each screw just the right amount for it to seal and not buzz... then immediately selling them

aha, so it is model related, too bad, i actually like the tweeter :(

I think you have everybody worried now! :eek:

It's not unknown for tweeters to be mounted with a little sealed wooden enclosure behind them. Isolate them from the bass of course.

Just can't think of an example right now. But you do wonder if this is why some tweeters get annoying at high levels.

599662d1487267698-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-seas-19-taf-jpg

Not much sealing there, this being my SEAS 19TAF/G, which clips together. :confused:

I think you have everybody worried now! :eek:

It's not unknown for tweeters to be mounted with a little sealed wooden enclosure behind them. Isolate them from the bass of course.

Just can't think of an example right now. But you do wonder if this is why some tweeters get annoying at high levels.

Not much sealing there, this being my SEAS 19TAF/G, which clips together. :confused:

i am so sorry, it was not my intention to worry anyone :)

i know that some tweeters with double back chambers and a rear plastic cup of a flimsy type, can have problems with modulation, but i did not know that they could leak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.