• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ruskie tube questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a Russian equivalent of the 6CG7/6FQ7 other than new production? They seem to have equivalents to a lot of other useful tubes but I don't recall this one.

Also, I saw an epay ad for a sub-mini voltage regulator tube (like a OD3) that was 85V and only 5mA. Has anyone used these and do they work well? Consuming only 5mA (as opposed to 30mA) would be a nice benefit but not if they provide a lot less efficacy.

JoshK said:
Is there a Russian equivalent of the 6CG7/6FQ7 other than new production? They seem to have equivalents to a lot of other useful tubes but I don't recall this one.

6N6P comes pretty close, 6N1P is often quoted but it is not even close - it's mu is about 35 (as opposed to about 21 for the 6CG/FQ7), and the anode dissipation and voltages are lower.

seems to me (and I'm certainly no expert) that the Russians pretty much stuck with one type of tube for a given application - ie, they didn't have multiple filament types (6SN7, 8SN7, 12SN7) for the same tube type. In the applications requiring a 6CG7 type, they probably just stuck with the 6H8C/6SN7. Note I'm thinking this just applies to older production, not New Sensor, etc.

Is Soviet Russia, Tube picks you!

as usual, my 02c

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.