Rogers LS3/5a speakers just blown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rogers LS3/5A speakers just blown

I have just blown these speakers through stupidity - basically I was testing a new mod to a working amp and made internal connections to the wrong place. My stupidity was not testing the speaker cable for DC before hooking up speakers AND not using old test speakers for 1st tests!

Doh!

It is certainly the woofer drive that's gone as I bypassed the crossover to test the drive - haven't tested the tweeter yet!

These are the 15ohm version - does anybody know if I can fix these? I'm sure there are companies in the UK which repair them but the costs including shipping are probably not worth!

This is just fate`s way of telling you that you were ready to experience a different set of speakers anyhow. Still, gotta hate it when that happens!

But hey, why are you wasting time fooling with modifying a sand amp anyhow? You know what they say, you can`t polish a turd. (I can take a fun jab at transistors here, this is the Loudspeaker Forum). If this had been a valve amp with output xfmer your speakers would still be alive and well! Also, tube amps respond well to tweaks. ;)

I know you're right but I just loved the sound of these speakers! Luckily I have some Jordan JX92S drives which need a cabinet - I guess I'll try them in the Rogers cabinet.

But is there any way to recone these speakers myself? Is this a very difficult job?

Hi poynton,
I have a saved ebay search working for me as we speak but as said these speakers go for crazy prices!

How difficult would this be to fix if it's just the former that has bubbled from the heat? Is this the likely problem or is there more to it than that - the sound is distorting when it goes above low vol or when a bass note hits!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
rcavictim said:
But hey, why are you wasting time fooling with modifying a sand amp anyhow? You know what they say, you can`t polish a turd. (I can take a fun jab at transistors here, this is the Loudspeaker Forum). If this had been a valve amp with output xfmer your speakers would still be alive and well! Also, tube amps respond well to tweaks. ;)

Go on, go the whole hog... tell us cables are valid tweak next. :)

ShinOBIWAN said:

Go on, go the whole hog... tell us cables are valid tweak next. :)

I try to keep my serious audio hardware discussions based on demonstrable physics and science, not religion or faith based belief systems. From what I have seen, many discussions of cable tweaks would be incomplete without considering the contribution of a $500 wooden volume control knob sealed with snake oil varnish. :xeye:

What I said about the accident being avoided entirely if a tube amp had been in play was absolutely linked to demonstrable physical principles. The output xfmer would have blocked damaging DC which caused the speaker damage from reaching the speaker.

Solid state amplifiers typically use so much NFB to create a semblance of linearity that it completely masks any `sonic` characteristics that can be obtained by component level tweeks or substitutions. Hence my `polishing a turd` comment, qualified with a statement that I was just having some fun. With typically low or sometimes even zero levels of NFB, tube amps do respond sonically, measued by even the untrained ear, to simple component changes and even tube swapping.

But of course you are aware of all this. ;)

rcavictim,
You are right - to some extent!

The amp I was testing was a non feedback solid state digital amp.

I am about to build a non feedback Zeus (Susan Parker) Mosfet with output transformers so this would have saved my bacon even though it is solid state & possibly excellent sounding also.

So blanket statements, like yours, are easy to contradict - I just usually don't bother and tend to take the intent of the post

They are certainly worth of shipping cost to send them out and have a qualified tech to do repair . Don't do any mods nor alter them in any way. They do fetch "obscene "
amount of money (like $2k USD) on the used market (especially 15 Ohm version) .
It reminds me a story of my friend who was changing tube for WE 300B in Audio Note amp which was turned on, while he was smoking and talking on the phone, and many stupid , stupid things I did myself .Always the same story "brake before make "
Good luck !

jkeny said:
rcavictim,
You are right - to some extent!

The amp I was testing was a non feedback solid state digital amp.

I am about to build a non feedback Zeus (Susan Parker) Mosfet with output transformers so this would have saved my bacon even though it is solid state & possibly excellent sounding also.

So blanket statements, like yours, are easy to contradict - I just usually don't bother and tend to take the intent of the post

Well, since mosfets are solid state devices that operate much like vacuum tubes in high impedance, voltage domain I heartily approve any experimentation. You could well end up with `solid state & possibly excellent sounding also.` Such devices would certainly be more reliable and use less electricity than vacuum tube based equipment. Definitely worthwhile advances in the art.

I dislike transistor amps with high NFB because I can hear grain and a sound resembling shattering glass underlying the tonal signature. I am fond of vacuum tube amps because they sound more realistic to me. I also love the nostalgic friendly warm glow and how resistant to surges and short term abuse that tubes have. In this regard it seems transistors were invented to protect fuses. I also appreciate the circuit simplicity that allow tubes to sound good in an audio amp. For the DIY`er this is more `roll your own` friendly. Transistor circuits are much more complicated and harder to service IMO.

Sorry to hear the news. A tragic, tragic loss.
I have some Chartwell LS3/5As and they are lovely - so I understand your loss.
But, fear not. There may be hope.
You should be able to replace the drivers if you do decide to rebuild it; KEF B110 for the bass driver and KEF T27 for the tweeter.
I think Wilmslow should be able to find replacements for you.

If the crossovers are shot, then it might be trickier replacing. The inductors are wound on transformer formers, but the caps and resistors are fairly standard.

I think you'll find tons of info at www.ls35a.com. I think the crossover schematics are in there somewhere - at least in the BBC paper from 1976.

Good luck, whatever you do.
I hope all goes well.

Cheers,
Phil

limono said:
They do fetch "obscene "
amount of money (like $2k USD) on the used market (especially 15 Ohm version) .

I don't see anything "obscene". They generally sell for between 1-1.5k. With suitable music and high quality amplification few minimonitors can really beat them. Not to mention the added collectors appeal. If anything, they sell cheap.

Rcavictim makes an excellent point. It is extremely rare for a tube amp to cause damage to speakers. Even if unreasonaly abused.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.