Rockna CD-ROM control Kit experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Friends,
there is some of you who has bought the CD-Rom control kit from Rockna audio Systems?
If yes, what do you think? did you received the kit?
A friend of mine experience: Mr Nicolae Jitariu of Rockna audio Systems said to him that he received his payment but my friend has not received the kit yet and Mr Jitariu does not replay to his E-mails.
Are they reliable? What do you think?

Have you built your kit yet? I've read a few of the threads about the CD-ROM drive as a transport but haven't seen the answer to this question...

Where do you get the digital out from on the CD-ROM drive? Is it on one of the IDE pins? do you have to open the case and solder to the PCB to tap into it?

also, am i correct in that to connect to a DAC w/ a CS8414 receiver chip I just need a capacitor in series with the digital out?

fluckscapacitor said:
Where do you get the digital out from on the CD-ROM drive? Is it on one of the IDE pins? do you have to open the case and solder to the PCB to tap into it?

Most (but not all) CD-drives have a 2-pin jumper on the back marked "digital out". this is an SPDIF-signal, but with 5V TTL-level instead on the usual 0.5V. If the drive doesn't have a jumper on the back, making a digital out can be quite difficult as you have to find the connections on the control pcb and solder wires to it from there.

fluckscapacitor said:
also, am i correct in that to connect to a DAC w/ a CS8414 receiver chip I just need a capacitor in series with the digital out?
If the output is TTL-Level SPDIF (as described above), then yes. There's a nice explanation of this in the back of the CS8414 datasheet.

/U.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.