remove saa7030

pisky

Member
2005-06-07 9:01 pm
island
Hi to everyone,

I have a nice old Marantz cd-74.
I have found the datasheets about saa70xx and the service manual about it.
I see that probably is it possible remove the digital filter saa7030 and use saa7000 directly to the two dac tda1540p.
The big problem of this cd-player, maybe is the jitter. I have read in this forum that the kwak clock work also with 4,32 crystal.

For you is possible do these modification?

Bye
Pisky
 

rfbrw

Member
2001-10-26 11:51 pm
.
pisky said:
Hi to everyone,

I have a nice old Marantz cd-74.
I have found the datasheets about saa70xx and the service manual about it.
I see that probably is it possible remove the digital filter saa7030 and use saa7000 directly to the two dac tda1540p.
The big problem of this cd-player, maybe is the jitter. I have read in this forum that the kwak clock work also with 4,32 crystal.

For you is possible do these modification?

Bye
Pisky


Why not use a single TDA1541A instead?
 

pisky

Member
2005-06-07 9:01 pm
island
There is no maybe about it. It is easier to connect the TDA1541A.

yes you have reason.


reading the datasheet of saa7000:

PIN6: CLOX buffered clock output (XTAL1)

PIN16: 14/16 select bit lenght of clock burst output from CLCF.

PIN14: clock burst output of either 14 or 16 bit as selected at pin 16. It is used to clock data from DLCF and DRCF.

PIN15: Right channel data output: format is two's complement or offset binary, as selected at DAEC (PIN4).

PIN13: Left channel data output: format is two's complement or offset binary, as selected at DAEC (PIN4).

PIN4: DAEC, serial data samples are recived at DAEC in two's complement form. The data is in 16 bit words separate by gaps; each word comprising two 8 bitsymbols.

PIN11: STR2 active high strobe pulse of 2 CLOX cycles duration occurring every 24 CLOX cycles and use to strobe data to the DACs. This pin should be left disconnect if SAA7030 is not used.

PIN12: STR1 active high strobe pulse of 2 CLOX cycles duration occurring every 96 CLOX cycles - after each pair of words have been clocked out. It is use to strobe data to SAA7030 or to the DACs if SAA7030 is not used.

So I can disconnect pin 11 of saa7000 and connect pin 12 of saa7000 directly to pin 2 of DACs.

Disconnect pin 16 to the ground and connect to +5v for set 16bit.

Connect pin 14 of saa7000 to pin 28 of DACs (clock pulse input).

Connect pin 13 of saa7000 to pin 1 of DAC (DLCF) and connect pin 15 of saa7000 to pin 1 of DAC (DRCF).

Disconnect pin 6 of saa7000 (CLOX).

The last idea is disconnect also the quartz and use a KWAK CLOCK.

What do you think about?

Bye
Pisky
 

pisky

Member
2005-06-07 9:01 pm
island
rfbrw said:
Seems about right but I would remove the SAA7030 completely and link across from input to output.

Pin20 DLCF to Pin3 DLFD.
Pin17 DRCF to Pin10 DRFD.
Pin18 /CLCF to Pin6 /CLFD.
Pin21 STR1 to Pin7 LAT.

For example:
Pin20 of SAA7030 DLCF originally is connect to PIN13 of SAA7000, and PIN3 of SAA7030 is connect to PIN1 of TDA1540.
Pin17 of SAA7030 DRCF originally is connect to PIN15 of SAA7000, and PIN10 of SAA7030 is connect to PIN1 of the other TDA1540.

I want instead connect PIN13 and PIN15 of SAA7000 directly to PIN1.

it is the same thing.

I think is possible connect directly SAA7000 to TDA1540

Bye
Pisky
 

rfbrw

Member
2001-10-26 11:51 pm
.
pisky said:


For example:
Pin20 of SAA7030 DLCF originally is connect to PIN13 of SAA7000, and PIN3 of SAA7030 is connect to PIN1 of TDA1540.
Pin17 of SAA7030 DRCF originally is connect to PIN15 of SAA7000, and PIN10 of SAA7030 is connect to PIN1 of the other TDA1540.

I want instead connect PIN13 and PIN15 of SAA7000 directly to PIN1.

it is the same thing.

I think is possible connect directly SAA7000 to TDA1540

Bye
Pisky


Its just a suggestion but I would not leave the SAA7030 running if I were you.
 

drews

Member
2005-01-29 10:19 pm
Roma
The pin on TDA1541a are:
PIN1 (latch enable input/ word select input),
PIN2 (bit clock input)
PIN3 (data left channel input/ data input (selected format))
PIN4 (data right channel input)

On SAA7000
You must put PIN16 to +5V for enable 16 bit output
Pin 16 connect to PIN2 of TDA1541 (but I'm not sure)
PIN15 to PIN4 of TDA1541
PIN13 to PIN3 of TDA1541
and I think PIN 12 to PIN1 of dac

rfbrw can help you better......... :D

Ciao
Andrea
 

rfbrw

Member
2001-10-26 11:51 pm
.
Richard said:
Hi rfbrw

You indicated that it is easier to connect a TDA1541 to the SAA7000, could you please elaborate how one would do this. I have a Philips CD 202 and would like to try this mod.

Cheers

Richard


SAA7000 ---> TDA1541A
DLCF 13 ---> DATA_L 3
DRCF 15 ---> DATA_R 4
CLCF 14 ---> BCK 2
STR1 12 ---> LE 1

Pin 27, OB/TWC, must be connected to -5v placing the TDA1541A in simultaneous L and R data mode.


drews said:

On SAA7000
You must put PIN16 to +5V for enable 16 bit output

Ciao
Andrea

Leave Pin 16 on the SAA7000 connected to ground. The SAA7000 is already set for 16 bit data as the SAA7030 expects 16bit data.
 
Hi Andrea and rfbrw

Thank you both very much for your feedback. I'm still a novice when it comes to electronics and have ne more query;

if I'm taking the 16 bita data from the SAA7000 directly to the TDA1541, should I remove the SAA7030.

I plan on building the TNT 1541 dac (without 8412) to use after the Saa7000, when its all implemented I'll report back with my findings.

Cheers

Richard