Regulated PSU for Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have searched all the threads concerning regulated PSU for preamps used with NI LM3886 chipamps. I am confused by the sheer amount of information. Would someone please post a schematic for a PSU used in conjunction with OPA627/Buf634?

I have a 150VA 12-0-12 toroid, is there any way to use it? I know that the regulators usually regulate down by 3 or more volts; is 9volts enough?; is there an appropriate regulator to regulate from 12 to 9 volts? The speakers I am driving are currently being driven without a preamp and using a volume controlled line-out on my CD player (2.5V max). I would like the benefits of the preamp: switching inputs, modest gain, and clarity enhancement, etc., Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

Bob

Re: Re: Regulated PSU for Preamp

cyteen said:

Remember that after rectification you will get 12*1.414 volts DC so after regulation you should still be able to get a full 12 volts.

It might be a little borderline, though, except if using low-dropout regulators.

3X7 regulators or similar need at least three volts more to regulate, in to out, and a slight AC line drop might take that away.

Better to get a slightly higher transformer or regulate to a bit less.

Carlos

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
well a 120VA transformer will also have a higher output voltage than 12*1.414 because it will not be loaded down a lot by the preamp electronics. so without accounting for the transformer regulation you'd have about a minimum of 12*1.414=17Vpeak-2V(2 diode drops)=15VDC. say it has about 10% regulation so you'd be more around 12*1.414*1.11=18.7-2V=16.7VDC to work with. don't forget that most of the low dropout regulators are guaranteed a maximum dropout of around 1.5V. i'd say your transformer is more than adequate for your application.

i use one 15VAC secondary of a plitron 120VA toroid in a power supply for an AMP3 (15Wx2 class D amp) and it doesn't cause the voltage to drop at all even around full output.

BWRX said:
well a 120VA transformer will also have a higher output voltage than 12*1.414 because it will not be loaded down a lot by the preamp electronics. so without accounting for the transformer regulation you'd have about a minimum of 12*1.414=17Vpeak-2V(2 diode drops)=15VDC. say it has about 10% regulation so you'd be more around 12*1.414*1.11=18.7-2V=16.7VDC to work with. don't forget that most of the low dropout regulators are guaranteed a maximum dropout of around 1.5V. i'd say your transformer is more than adequate for your application.

i use one 15VAC secondary of a plitron 120VA toroid in a power supply for an AMP3 (15Wx2 class D amp) and it doesn't cause the voltage to drop at all even around full output.

You are considering positive 10% regulation only, when it should be +/-10%, IMHO.

How much wall AC drops might depend on many factors.

Low dropout regulators, as I also said, should be the way to go on this case.

Carlos

Attachments

• 6_69227.jpg
    6_69227.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 299
BWRX

I'm not sure of the voltage requirement. I want to drive a pair of OPA627/Buf634 for a preamp. As I stated in my initial post, I'm looking for a gain of about 5. I thought that a 12-0-12 150va tranny would do it because of the 1.4 multiplier after rectification, but the minimum voltage drop for regulation seems to be the question. I think I know enough just to be dangerous.

Bob

Bob

OPA627/BUF634 combo usualy runs on an average power supply of +/-15V.
With the transformr you got at hand you can achieve a rectified voltage of approx. 16,9V (VOut * 1,414). If you you use LT1085CT/LT1033CT positive and negative adjustable regulators you will come close to the desired +/-15V because these regulators only need 1Volt difference between input and output. The LM317 and LM337 regulators on the other hand need a 3Volt difference. The VA rating of your transformer is more than adequate for a preamp of this kind.

Cheers

Walter

GeWa said:
OPA627/BUF634 combo usualy runs on an average power supply of +/-15V.
With the transformr you got at hand you can achieve a rectified voltage of approx. 16,9V (VOut * 1,414). If you you use LT1085CT/LT1033CT positive and negative adjustable regulators you will come close to the desired +/-15V because these regulators only need 1Volt difference between input and output. The LM317 and LM337 regulators on the other hand need a 3Volt difference. The VA rating of your transformer is more than adequate for a preamp of this kind.

To get to the raw DC supply output you have to compute:

(12v x 1.4) - 1.4 = 15.4v

Certainly regulating to 15v is out of the question, except if he adds more windings at the output.

Bostonflyer can use those regulators, or any other low-dropout type, where going to 12.5v or so would be fine.

I think it's risky not considering brownouts or lower AC peaks when you design an AC based regulator.

Those chips will work perfectly with that voltage.

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.